Sorry guys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

drobbins27

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Searching Lake Ontario for tropical fish...No luck
Ok, I added play sand and everything settled nicely. Now my only problem is whenever anything stirs the sand up a bit on the bottom, the whole tank goes cloud:S I intend on keeping an Oscar in there and a pleco, both who will undoubtly stir up the sand. Is there anyway to prevent this? Could this just be dirt which I didnt wash off the sand (forgot to clean sand before I put it in tank :eek: :dunno: )
Could I possibly put a layer of pool filter sand on top? I need answers please! and pronto! :thumbs:

Please help guys :-(

Sounds like you didn't wash it well enough. :no:

I washed my sand for the cichlid tank like 12 times per 4 cups of sand and it took forever...I just kept washing until the water ran clear. You may wanna start over,or stir it up and keep changing the water? :dunno:

Doesn't look like that problem is going to end any time soon..... :-(

You need to take ALOT of time to clean playsand, as it has very small particles in it that will take a long time to get out....you really should have rinsed it :X ...and probably are going to have start all over again....better luck with it, if that is what you decide to do :thumbs:

:/ Ouch, thats rough. Imguessing a 90g 100% water change may be neccesary then along with tough rinsing....I odnt have a hose inside either :-( Do you think in time it may just gradually clean, I do 20% water changes a day...with no hose lol :rofl:

Anyways guys thanks fo rthe help, lifesavers :thumbs:

Yea,I did it in the bathtub and I had the entire tub full of the silty fine sand that ran off. :X It took FOREVER to wash it and it was play sand I bought at walmart. It was VERY dirty.

So when I move things around and the water becomes cloudy....is that dirt? or is that sand? I just thought aobut maybe taking the couple fish that are in there (god bless them) and putting them in my 29, then stirring the sand up. After that I will do a 50-70% water change :dunno: Sound logical?

P.S- I have a Penguin 330, Penguin 170 and a Dynaflow 1 helping to clear the water....will these make any difference, or will they only had to the problem...The Penguins will be used as the overall filtration once the tank is fully "established"(darn sand!).

if you've got another tank to store your fish in then i'd advise you to do it. then start over with your sand tank. wash it thoroughly this time (i put my sand - which i got from a nearby lagoon - in a pillow case and ran the bath tap into it for 15 minutes for every coupla litres)

i reckon cleaning the sand by stirring it up and changing the water would work, but it'd take a looong time

I would definately move them, turn off the filters, stir up the sand as much as possible and do HUGE w/c's....you don't want the filters on because the sand particles will get caught in between the impeller and shaft (I know from experience, stupid fronts :X ) Your tank will probably go through a new cycle, so watch out for that....however with 3 filters already matured, you may also luck out....here's hoping for that! :thumbs:

If I were you I would just start all over with swimming pool filter sand. I recently replaced the gravel in my 29 gallon aquarium with filter sand. I did no rinsing. The water was cloudy for about a day and then it cleared up. Even when I stir the sand, no dirt comes out. I put 35 lbs in my 29 gallon aquarium and I got a 2.5 inch layer of sand. Swimming pool filter sand is the greatest. You will not be dissapointed if you get it. It will solve your problems without all of the work.

Kevin

:crazy: That's really annoying for you, sorry to hear that.
In the UK play sand is about 5 GBP and sand from the Aquarium center is 11 to 13 GBP.
I guessed there was a difference. It can't all be profit.
I use the Aquarium shops sand, washed once as no scum, dirt etc came off at all :whistle: . Put it in the tank, took 24hrs to settle. Even when I stir it up to remove the air pockets - no problem.
Trouble is that it comes down to time spent V money spent. And yes, 11 GBP is a lot for sand.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Did you read my post "sand mayhem" in this forum?

I'd say your sand has a lot of very fine grain sand in it. Being lazy I shelled out for marine sand and I must admit it made a very easy job of it. It were pretty clean to start with and is mostly made up of larger grain sand.

You added marine sand? Is it aragonite based or silica based? Most marine sands are aragonite based which buffer the water to around 8.3! Great for marine tanks but that's not the pH you want in a freshwater aquarium(at least not with the fish that you have). Whatever sand you use, I would just put some of it in a small tank or dish to see if there is any drastic pH change.

Kevin

i have play sand in my tank also and dumb me forgot to wash it "i was to excited to get it filled" it took a while to settle but it packed fiarly easy and i removed all the crap with my power head with the floss in it and i kept cleaning it that way and now i have to dig it up for it to get a little cloudy then it settles imediently

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back