Something Is Wrong With Little Goldfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fluttermoth said:
Goldfish will happily eat bloodworm; they're more opportunist scavengers than truly herbivorous.

So should try bloodworms?

Would definitely give it a try!

Definitely give bloodworms a try. 
I used to feed them to my goldies (kept them before I knew what I was doing).

What size tank are you looking at buying?

Thenext time you decide to try this again, and get more fish, PLEASE make sure to ask all the questions you need as to exactly what you need, and how to keep the fish.   Then when you get its habitat set up, do a fishless cycle on the tank before adding fish.  This is the easiest, most stress free way to keep fish, and to keep them alive.   I would go into the forum and read the tank cycling thread, so you can really grasp the ins and outs of ammonia and the nitrifying cycle.  

I really really hope to see you try again, and to try responsibly next time!

ech0o said:
Thenext time you decide to try this again, and get more fish, PLEASE make sure to ask all the questions you need as to exactly what you need, and how to keep the fish.   Then when you get its habitat set up, do a fishless cycle on the tank before adding fish.  This is the easiest, most stress free way to keep fish, and to keep them alive.   I would go into the forum and read the tank cycling thread, so you can really grasp the ins and outs of ammonia and the nitrifying cycle.  

I really really hope to see you try again, and to try responsibly next time!

Are you in some way telling me that i was irresponsible? I wasn't my fish, and i'm also pretty sure all of us have made mistakes like this.

I am telling you that between this topic, and the other ones I have seen you post with the bettas and such, that you should really plan it out before you delve into it.  Not criticizing you at all, I just know how fun and fulfilling fishkeeping is, and the fulfillment is not there when the fish are unhappy and/or dead.  Yes we absolutely all have made mistakes, then we were luckily pointed in a better direction with the joined knowledge of the Tropical Fish Forums staff and community!!

ech0o said:
I am telling you that between this topic, and the other ones I have seen you post with the bettas and such, that you should really plan it out before you delve into it.  Not criticizing you at all, I just know how fun and fulfilling fishkeeping is, and the fulfillment is not there when the fish are unhappy and/or dead.  Yes we absolutely all have made mistakes, then we were luckily pointed in a better direction with the joined knowledge of the Tropical Fish Forums staff and community!!

And that's what's going on! I've upgraded two tanks from your experience. My betta was living in a less than a gallon tank before i came in here because the pet store said it was fine. I upgraded it and now he's in a 2,5 gallon which is the minimum size for betta tanks and planning on buying a tank that's over 10 gallons for him. Also bought a fish very impulsively and he was lethargic, he's better and about to be getting a new home as well. The goldie died maybe because lack of space but keep in mind that my girlfriend was given the fish and didnt know anything about keeping one, it was her first. Also notice that aquarium setups are extremely expensive here. A 30 gallon would be over 400 dollars here. Just to give you a little light, and we're not adults yet, dont have jobs to get that kind of money not even for ourselves, but for fishkeeping. I am so very thankful for all of your answers, they have helped me a lot! But please dont call me irresponsible, i'm trying.

I think its always tough when you are rescuing an animal, whether you are experienced or not.  Many of these animals are stressed a great deal from the treatment they had prior to taking over the care.  And some are harmed beyond recovery.

I don't think that in any way, either you or your girlfriend were irresponsible in this situation.

That said, the advice to always be prepared for a fish before taking it on is good advice.  It may not always work out that way or be possible, especially in a 'rescue' situation - but it should always be the goal.

I'm not familiar with Portugal in terms of purchasing opportunities, but do you have access to any second hand tanks?  Something like ebay, craigslist, freecycle, etc.?   Buying new is always a nice thing... but at the same time, its very expensive.  I am an adult, but even as an adult with a full-time job, I have a lot of expenses.  The way to assuage the cost of MTS, which gets even the best of us, is to look into second hand.  If possible (not always an option) keep a few dollars/pounds/euros on hand to be able to pick up a quality deal at the drop of a hat.  You may be surprised what you can find cheap/free if you are looking and ready to 'pounce'.

eaglesaquarium said:
I think its always tough when you are rescuing an animal, whether you are experienced or not.  Many of these animals are stressed a great deal from the treatment they had prior to taking over the care.  And some are harmed beyond recovery.

I don't think that in any way, either you or your girlfriend were irresponsible in this situation.

That said, the advice to always be prepared for a fish before taking it on is good advice.  It may not always work out that way or be possible, especially in a 'rescue' situation - but it should always be the goal.

I'm not familiar with Portugal in terms of purchasing opportunities, but do you have access to any second hand tanks?  Something like ebay, craigslist, freecycle, etc.?   Buying new is always a nice thing... but at the same time, its very expensive.  I am an adult, but even as an adult with a full-time job, I have a lot of expenses.  The way to assuage the cost of MTS, which gets even the best of us, is to look into second hand.  If possible (not always an option) keep a few dollars/pounds/euros on hand to be able to pick up a quality deal at the drop of a hat.  You may be surprised what you can find cheap/free if you are looking and ready to 'pounce'.

I recently posted a topic about that. I'm thinking of buying a new tank for my betta, Casper, and the prices are very high here, at least for what i'm looking for and some of you suggested second hand tanks and i searched some and found actually good deals, hadnt thought of that before but maybe a second hand one will be what i'll get!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back