Reaction score
Tank size: 130litres
pH: 7.5
ammonia: o
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0-5
kH: -
gH: -
tank temp: usual temp 26c.....have adjusted to 30c(86F)

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): swimming like made,twitching and rubbing against objects.Can't see any white spots on the fish though

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 20-25% weekly

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Cabron filter now removed

Tank inhabitants: 6 clown loaches and now only 5 Pakistani loaches left

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 4 Pakistani Loaches...3 weeks ago

Exposure to chemicals: None

Digital photo (include if possible): impossible they move to fast and hide

additional information...Tank has been active for over a year originally had Kribensis and the 6 clown loaches right from the beginning.Moved the Kribensis to a seperate tank because of breeding and got 3 Pakistani Loaches to put in in their place.Had the Pakistani Loaches for about 9-10months.About 4 weeks ago one of the Pakistani Loaches died for no apparent reaosn...Been communal fishes I tracked down 4 more to add to the tank.Added them 3 weeks ago,Within 2 weeks one Pakistani loach...one of the original inhabitants started twitching and vigorously crashing itself into object,flicking itself against anything it could rub against in the tank,within a couple of days it died and was removed.Now sevferal of theother fish have developed the twitching.After doing some reading I am sure there is a parasite attacking them but no obvious sign of Ich on them.After some more reading I have raised the tank temp to 30c(86F) but am wondering is there more I can do?I am against chemicals cause I am aware that Loaches are very sensitiveto Chemical treatments.I read that many paracites stop breeding at 30c(86F) but can be killed off at 32C(89.6F) but is it safe for the fish?They seem quite happy at 30c(86F) at the moment...

Any help will be appreciated

Your tanks was overstocked and could still be.
How big are the clown loaches.

What test kit are you using?

Are the fish also showing any of these symtoms.

Greyish white film, white film, blue film on fish.
Red sores, or red pin pricks marks on fish body or gills.
Swimming in a jerky movement.
Turn tanks lights out and shine a torch on fish for signs of gold dusting, rusty coloured varnish, or golden yellow spots.
Is there any excess slime on the fish body or gills.
Do the fish look pale or darker in colour.
Are the gills pale with excess mucas, red and inflamed, bleeding gills.
Are fish losing weight.
Are fish spitting there food out, not eating.
Any signs of laboured breathing, or gasping at surface of tank.
Have you added anything new to the tank.
Have you changed declorinator.

Could any cheimicals gotten into the tank.

Your tanks was overstocked and could still be. 130lts is 35US gallons 29UK Doubtful its overstocked,its a big tank with 10-12 different fish,If overstocked then it would have shown signs a long time ago.Been a happy tank till the last3-4 weeks

How big are the clown loaches. approx 8cm pakistani approx 4-5cm

What test kit are you using? Nutrafin essential master kit

Are the fish also showing any of these symtoms.

Greyish white film, white film, blue film on fish. NO
Red sores, or red pin pricks marks on fish body or gills. NO
Swimming in a jerky movement. NO just the rubbing and twitches,Not jerky though
Turn tanks lights out and shine a torch on fish for signs of gold dusting, rusty coloured varnish, or golden yellow spots. NO
Is there any excess slime on the fish body or gills. NO
Do the fish look pale or darker in colour. NO
Are the gills pale with excess mucas, red and inflamed, bleeding gills. NO-something is irratating the Gills though,just can't see it

Are fish losing weight. NO
Are fish spitting there food out, not eating. NO
Any signs of laboured breathing, or gasping at surface of tank. NO sometimes the affected fish do though but not all the time
Have you added anything new to the tank. 4 Pakistani Loaches
Have you changed declorinator. NO

Could any cheimicals gotten into the tank. Definately Not

The fish are not showing any parasite signs yet.
Flicking and darting can also be bad water quality, ph shock, parasites, bacterial, toxins, meds, stray voltage.

Is there any tiny bubbles on the surface of the skin.

I would get your water tested at the lfs and ask them to write the readings down for you.
Make sure the test kit not out of date.

Clown loaches need large tanks of 100 gallons as they start to get bigger.
You also have far to many bottom dwellers for a 29 gallon tank.

Thanks.Have a bigger tank but its not prepped yet

I have noticed one of the fish has minute tiny white dots on it,am thinking this is ICH then.....

It could well be.

Whitespot looks like a grain of salt on a fish, or looks like the fish has been sprinkled in salt.
Sometimes before whitespot breaks out you will see tiny bubbles on the fish body.

Remove black carbon from filter.
Raise temp to 30.
Increase aeration. As the high temp and med reduce 02 in the water.
Add the whitespot med. Don't over dose.

Make sure you can use the full dose with the fish you keep. As you have sensitive fish.

Thanks for your help.

I have already removed the Black Carbon Filter
Put the temp up to 30c
Increased Aeration.
I will look for a suitable white spot med for Loaches

Get the med fast.
As whitespot can be a fast killer once it affects the gills.

You are not meant to raise the temp once you have the med.
Don't add salt. Your fish don't tolerate it to well.

Good Luck.

Thought I would give a quick update.All my fish are doing well,I've still got the temp up and will continue to do so till 10 dyas are up,I've used the white spot treatment and I did not use any salt.The fish are no longer displaying any signs of agitation so fingers crossed they'll all be fine

That's good news.
Thanks for the update.

I would seriousley work hard at getting that bigger tank up and running as soon as possible it will help your loaches no end. As wilder eluded to the tank you have them in at the momment is not good, I would go as far as to say seriousley undersized and inadiquate to your current stocking even if the Clowns are small juveniles you will be amazed at the |Clowns have the chance to spread there fins and really swim there amazingly fast and fun to watch.

Well done and good news on getting rid of the ick its a nasty disease for your fish and can be hard to get rid off :good:

Regards onebto

I would seriousley work hard at getting that bigger tank up and running as soon as possible it will help your loaches no end. As wilder eluded to the tank you have them in at the momment is not good, I would go as far as to say seriousley undersized and inadiquate to your current stocking even if the Clowns are small juveniles you will be amazed at the |Clowns have the chance to spread there fins and really swim there amazingly fast and fun to watch.

Well done and good news on getting rid of the ick its a nasty disease for your fish and can be hard to get rid off :good:

Regards onebto

Yeah I will,the problem is its a 500gallon tank,its frickin' huge so when I can sort some space I will bring it indoors...

I love the loaches though-they're all nuts...which other fish "sleeps" on its side-how many times I have had a look thinking one has died yet lying their on their sides yet its up and off in a moment...adding the pakistani loaches definately made the clowns less nervous and come out and play more....Brilliant fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back