Some stocking info needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SorryEh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have 3 Yellow Labs currently separated in my 55 and 36 gal tanks that are about 3.5-5" in length and cannot put them all together in the 55 gal because, of course, aggression issues. Now here's where my problem is, I want to get them all into the 55 with upwards of 6 more cichlids (preferably all females). My LFS has mostly smaller ones (1 1/2" - 2") and I am wondering what would the aggression be like putting these in with at least one of the larger ones. Would it just be complete carnage or would having many of them make aggression minimal. If I could have all three larger ones together and grow these smaller ones up to a better size I would but the three will not all get along. If this is a total no go (I assume it is) what size should I look for? What would you experts do?

yellow labs = Labidochromis caeruleus?
If yes, these are quite peaceful for cichlids and they can be kept in prs or colonies.

If you can only get small fish then I would grow up a group of little ones in a spare tank. When they are bigger, then rearrange the main display tank to break up territories. Then add all the caeruleus together.
Basically have your current adults in a tank, put the new ones into their own tank for 6 months to grow up. Then in 6 months or whenever the new young fish are 4-5inches, move the rocks/ ornaments around the big tank just before putting both groups of caeruleus in with the other fish.

Moving the rocks around will break up the established territories and introducing a group of new fish together will spread out any aggression amongst all the new fish, rather than just one or two.

yellow labs = Labidochromis caeruleus?
If yes, these are quite peaceful for cichlids and they can be kept in prs or colonies.

If you can only get small fish then I would grow up a group of little ones in a spare tank. When they are bigger, then rearrange the main display tank to break up territories. Then add all the caeruleus together.
Basically have your current adults in a tank, put the new ones into their own tank for 6 months to grow up. Then in 6 months or whenever the new young fish are 4-5inches, move the rocks/ ornaments around the big tank just before putting both groups of caeruleus in with the other fish.

Moving the rocks around will break up the established territories and introducing a group of new fish together will spread out any aggression amongst all the new fish, rather than just one or two.

Okay thanks, this is sort of what I guessed. Yes they are Labidochromis caeruleus. Generally they are peacefully when I provide lots of shelter but can get a bit nippy. I will try to figure out a setup that everyone can be happy with until everyone is on equal grounds. I haven't been to my LFS in 2 weeks so maybe I will get lucky and they will have something bigger. One last question, do I need to get more caeruleus or could I get another African to ease any aggression. If so, any recommendations?

you can use other cichlids instead of the caeruleus but it depends on what you currently have and what you want. Some like Melanochromis auratus are pretty aggro and stuff like peacocks (Aulonocara sp) are peaceful.

The main thing with all rift lake cichlids is to rearrange the tank to break up established territories before adding new fish. And to try and add a group of new fishes rather than just 1 fish on its own. That way any aggression is spread out amongst all the new comers instead of just 1 individual. :)

you can use other cichlids instead of the caeruleus but it depends on what you currently have and what you want. Some like Melanochromis auratus are pretty aggro and stuff like peacocks (Aulonocara sp) are peaceful.

The main thing with all rift lake cichlids is to rearrange the tank to break up established territories before adding new fish. And to try and add a group of new fishes rather than just 1 fish on its own. That way any aggression is spread out amongst all the new comers instead of just 1 individual. :)

Sounds good, I was going to look for a cichlid that was darker to add contrast. I will definitely get a nice big group, hopefully of more grown ones that could be put in after they are quarantined and can sex before buying them. I was also considering getting some sort of synodontis catfish or maybe even a smaller plec, but I have heard that plecs often have trouble with Africans. :)

Pseudotropheus acei or Sciaenochromis ahli males get dark blue.
Ahli are much more peaceful and quite a nice fish, and they are easy to sex at a young age, if they have any blue they are male.

Synodontis need to be kept in groups of 6 or more for best results. If you don't have too many fish in the tank then a group of them could be an interesting addition.

Plecos do well in most cichlid tanks but they come from soft acid water and rift lakes are hard alkaline, so it isn't the ideal choice for them. Common Bristlenose catfish have been domesticated for years and are much more tolerant of hard alkaline water and would be a better choice over the Pleco.

Pseudotropheus acei or Sciaenochromis ahli males get dark blue.
Ahli are much more peaceful and quite a nice fish, and they are easy to sex at a young age, if they have any blue they are male.

Synodontis need to be kept in groups of 6 or more for best results. If you don't have too many fish in the tank then a group of them could be an interesting addition.

Plecos do well in most cichlid tanks but they come from soft acid water and rift lakes are hard alkaline, so it isn't the ideal choice for them. Common Bristlenose catfish have been domesticated for years and are much more tolerant of hard alkaline water and would be a better choice over the Pleco.

Hmm okay, the bristlenoses look pretty nice, how would a group of those work, like 4 maybe? could there be issues? I don't think I could have any synodontis if that's the group sizes since some get to 8+ inches. I could have a large group of Synodontis nigriventris, but I have heard they are one of the synodontis that should be avoided in a African cichlid tank. The acei are one I have considered. My LFS carries larger Sciaenochromis ahli but I saw they grow upwards of 8" and was worried this could be an issue with my 4-5" labs.

I have never seen an ahli over 6 inches (body length not including tail), and they are peaceful.

Synodontis nigriventris prefer soft acid water and are not suitable tank mates for mbuna or other boisterous cichlids.
Synodontis multipunctatus would be the choice of catfish because they naturally occur with rift lake cichlids and actually use mouth brooding cichlids to care for their eggs and young. They only get to 5-6inches and are peaceful.

The common bristlenose catfish grows about 4 inches and lives in loose groups with each male having a small territory around a cave they hide in. Females move around and breed with different males and then leave the males to care for the eggs and fry. You could have 2prs without any problems.
The males have bristles on their head and pectoral fins and the females don't.
If you do get bristlenose make sure you have a bit of driftwood in the tank for them, and feed them on bottom feeding foods that are mainly plant based.

*NB* make sure you get common plain old boring captive bred bristlenose and not Peckoltias.

I have never seen an ahli over 6 inches (body length not including tail), and they are peaceful.

Synodontis nigriventris prefer soft acid water and are not suitable tank mates for mbuna or other boisterous cichlids.
Synodontis multipunctatus would be the choice of catfish because they naturally occur with rift lake cichlids and actually use mouth brooding cichlids to care for their eggs and young. They only get to 5-6inches and are peaceful.

The common bristlenose catfish grows about 4 inches and lives in loose groups with each male having a small territory around a cave they hide in. Females move around and breed with different males and then leave the males to care for the eggs and fry. You could have 2prs without any problems.
The males have bristles on their head and pectoral fins and the females don't.
If you do get bristlenose make sure you have a bit of driftwood in the tank for them, and feed them on bottom feeding foods that are mainly plant based.

*NB* make sure you get common plain old boring captive bred bristlenose and not Peckoltias.

Okay, I was planning to check my LFS for some sort of wood when a am out that way because I want a nice big piece for the tank in general. What type of group would should I look for with multipunctatus? I am going to have at least 7 cichlids of about 5-6 inches in the tank, it's only a 55 gallon so I probably couldn't house a large group of multipunctatus.

You need at least 4 multipunctatus or preferably 6.
There should be sufficient room in the 55g tank for 12 x 5-6 inch fish as long as you do regular water changes and have a good filter.
Good filtration is essential in a rift lake tank due to the high pH. Any ammonia produced will be extremely toxic in alkaline water and if there isn't good filtration, the catfish will have big issues, as will the cichlids.

You need at least 4 multipunctatus or preferably 6.
There should be sufficient room in the 55g tank for 12 x 5-6 inch fish as long as you do regular water changes and have a good filter.
Good filtration is essential in a rift lake tank due to the high pH. Any ammonia produced will be extremely toxic in alkaline water and if there isn't good filtration, the catfish will have big issues, as will the cichlids.

Sounds good, I currently have an AquaClear 70 on the 55 but I have an API superclear 50 I could add to the tank once I have the grow out tank empty.Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated, I will be going to my LFS tomorrow and will provide updates on what I got when I get back.

Just wanted to bring this topic back up, would most peacocks be okay with my 3 Labidochromis caeruleus? My LFS has many peacocks so I think that is my best route.

All peacock cichlids (Aulonocara species) will be fine with Labidochromis caeruleus.

All Aulonocara species will hybridise so if you want to breed the peacocks, only keep 1 species or colour form per tank.

If you don't want to breed them, just get 3 or 4 young males from different species and grow them up. As they mature they will colour up. Females stay silver gray males get blue, red, orange etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back