Some Of The Fish

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Must admit, these were taken some time ago.... The little girl in the photo (my daughter) is now a Veterinary surgeon, with her own practice in the Diamond Capital of SA... (Kimberley)

This is a "galjoen".... S.A.'s National fish.. The SA record at that time was 22 pounds... This one was 18 pounds.
scan0002-2.jpg

Ordinary Shad... which I think is available world wide....
scan0003-2.jpg

A Skate, which I think everybody knows
scan0005.jpg

Ordinary little grey shark
scan0007.jpg

Musscle Cracker..... Took almost an hour to land.. A fierce fighter
scan0008.jpg

Here it is known as a Kabeljou... I think you may know it as a "Cob".... This one's very smal at 16pounds, considering that they do get over a 100Pounds
scan0006.jpg

I know they're not really "prize" fish to write home about, but show us some of your recent, or yesteryear catches.......

Hmm, a fisherman that keeps aquarium fish :)

In Australia we call skate, stingrays or rays. We sometimes see them when out collecting shrimp at the beach. A couple of years ago I was about 50metres out from the beach standing in waist deep water when a ray (about 3ft across the wings) started cruising up and down the coast. It was swimming between me and the beach and I stood there watching it for about 10minutes. Every now and then it would stop and sift the sand before moving on again. Eventually it approached me and stopped right in front of me. It was up near the surface and was looing at me. We looked at each other for about 30seconds before it swam off. It was an incredible experience having this wild animal come up to me and check me out.

When I first saw the 4th pic (the shark & your daughter) I didn’t notice the shark and it looked like you were about to dong your kid on the head with a piece of wood :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back