Some of my balloons....

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Trish, all your balloon arrangements are fabulous -- you must be a very talented and creative person!

I also agree that the balloon releases are fun and marvelous to watch, but I have been indoctrinated by groups like the Wildlife Federation against such releases, due to the danger those balloons will eventually pose to our fellow earthlings when they pop and the pieces fall into streams and woodlands, or even the side of the road.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. I just cringe when I see all those zillions of balloons go up at the political conventions every four years, thinking about all those poor unsuspecting fish or animals suffering needlessly on our account. [sniff]

I know only too well what havoc a small, seemingly innocent bit of stuff can wreak. Some months ago my beloved cat, Dickens, ingested a fair length of thread from a misplaced spool he was playing with, and the poor little guy nearly didn't make it. :-( Six incisions he had to have in his various inner parts to remove it all. :crazy: He is back to himself now, thank goodness, but for a couple of weeks it was touch and go.

I'll put a pic of the little mug at the bottom of this so you all can have a look if you want to.

Set me back a pretty penny, too, though you don't think about that when your babies are in the grip of death, but I can tell you, I could have filled this house with fish and fish tanks for what I paid to get that thread out of my cat!

And by the way, I like that song, too. Isn't it German or Scandinavian? I seem to recall hearing it in a foreign language. :/ Bye everyone.

Woops! Here's the pic:

Attachments

• Dickens2.jpg
    Dickens2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 91
Alia:

beautiful cat

Jamnog: you are dead on with why. in the rubber balloons the helium molecule escapes through the material. it is rather pourus. the foil balloons last long because the helium can not escape through them. only out the bottom where it is tied.

I learned that watching Mr. Wizards World almost 20 years ago....

Love the kitty Ali... :wub:

I also agree that the balloon releases are fun and marvelous to watch, but I have been indoctrinated by groups like the Wildlife Federation against such releases, due to the danger those balloons will eventually pose to our fellow earthlings when they pop and the pieces fall into streams and woodlands, or even the side of the road.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a wet blanket. I just cringe when I see all those zillions of balloons go up at the political conventions every four years, thinking about all those poor unsuspecting fish or animals suffering needlessly on our account. [sniff]

I too believe in keeping things out of wildlife that could be harmful...and a lot of people don't know the real story behind the latex balloon...I was one!!
but when I started working with balloons, I found out what the real dangers are........

Are latex balloons biodegradable?
Latex is a 100-percent natural substance that breaks down both in sunlight and water. The degradation process begins almost immediately. Oxidation, the “frosting” that makes latex balloons look as if they are losing their color, is one of the first signs of the process. Exposure to sunlight quickens the process, but natural microorganisms attack natural rubber even in the dark.

Research shows that under similar environmental conditions, latex balloons will biodegrade at about the same rate as a leaf from an oak tree. The actual total degradation time will vary depending on the precise conditions.

Often latex balloons are released either on purpose or accidentally. Research shows that most of these latex balloons—the ones that are well-tied and have no structural flaws—rise to an altitude of about five miles, where they freeze, breaking into spaghetti-like pieces that scatter as they return to earth. While we do know that animals occasionally eat these soft slivers of rubber, the evidence indicates that pieces ultimately pass through the digestive system without harming the animal.

Balloons are not a significant littler problem. During a nationwide beach cleanup in 1992, volunteers collected more than 614,433 bottles and cans, but found fewer than 32,000 balloon pieces. These pieces—collected over more than 4,600 miles of shoreline—would fit inside four trash bags.

........but anyway, the real dangers are releasing the foil balloons...they are NOT biodegradable, and they can cause major problems if they get caught in electrical wires
....and NEVER.....NEVER.......NEVER.......let a helium balloon go that has a string or ribbon attached...that can cause problems if an animal eats it......like your kitty and the thread.... if I hand balloons out to be released, I use raffia....a natural grass like product, but I usually just do releases where there in nothing attached.

Anyway, that is what I have learned and I always try to teach people safety when it comes to balloons, for the earth and themselves....I have been hurt several times by balloons!!
I had a 3 foot balloon pop on my torso one time, and it felt like I had been shot...I was filling it with helium, and it touched something and popped while I was leaning in on it :hyper: ....It actually bruised me. :-(
and just the other day I popped a 16" helium balloon on my eye while I was filling it....it isn't a bad idea to wear safety glasses !!!! 8) :D 8)

I am impressed, Trish, you really did your homework:flowers: . Most people would not have given it a second thought. It is good to know that they are biodegradable - unlike the stupid grocery bags you see fluttering off of trees all the time like flags :angry:

Litter of all kinds drives me crazy. :crazy:
Oak leaves are probably about the slowest leaves to break down, :fun: but they do eventually get mulched, and that's more than you can say for a disposable diaper (the way people leave those things laying around -- outrageous!!)

Bottles and cans, while ugly and sharp if broken, are at least chemically inert, so it's the petroleum products and plastics and industrial chemicals/waste products that worry me the most if it comes to that.

But today you have educated me about balloons, and thank goodness I haven't seen anyone releasing thousands of mylar balloons on TV. So I will feel a little bit better about that in the future, and we all need more things we can feel better about.

Thanks for the nice comments about my kitty. He is a real Dickens , but his "mama" loves him in spite of it. :wub:

Most reactions

Back