Some Interesting Facts

vis

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
(I started this cause i was bored)

It is estimated that there may still be over 15,000 fish species that have not yet been identified.

There are more species of fish than all the species of amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals combined.

40% of all fish species inhabit fresh water, yet less than .01% of the earth's water is fresh water.

The smallest fish is the Philippine goby that is less than 1/3 of an inch when fully grown.

95% of tropical fish mortality results from improper housing and nutrition. (sad)

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

This just caught my eye, VERY scary : If you urinate when swimming in a South American river, you may encounter the candiru. Drawn to warmth, this tiny fish is known to follow a stream of urine to its source, swim inside the body, and flare its barbed fins. It will remain firmly embedded in the flesh until surgically removed.

THIS IS JUST A FEW TO GET YOU GOING.
POST YOUR FACTS OR STORIES HERE!

Wow i wonder if I could get my hands on a few of those Phillipine Goby's

Smallest fish
1.jpg

Phillipine Goby

(I started this cause i was bored)

It is estimated that there may still be over 15,000 fish species that have not yet been identified.

There are more species of fish than all the species of amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals combined.

40% of all fish species inhabit fresh water, yet less than .01% of the earth's water is fresh water.

The smallest fish is the Philippine goby that is less than 1/3 of an inch when fully grown.

95% of tropical fish mortality results from improper housing and nutrition. (sad)

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

This just caught my eye, VERY scary : If you urinate when swimming in a South American river, you may encounter the candiru. Drawn to warmth, this tiny fish is known to follow a stream of urine to its source, swim inside the body, and flare its barbed fins. It will remain firmly embedded in the flesh until surgically removed.

THIS IS JUST A FEW TO GET YOU GOING.
POST YOUR FACTS OR STORIES HERE!

here you go:
Interesting Fish Facts/url]

Actually, some of those are not true.

'A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.'
a) Goldfish are egglayers, they do not get pregnant
b ) It is debateable whather they are called twits, generally concensus is that they aren't.

'This just caught my eye, VERY scary : If you urinate when swimming in a South American river, you may encounter the candiru. Drawn to warmth, this tiny fish is known to follow a stream of urine to its source, swim inside the body, and flare its barbed fins. It will remain firmly embedded in the flesh until surgically removed.'

Most species in the parasitic catfish are called candirus, but out of that whole family, only one or two genii, with a couple of spcies in each, actually are parasitic, and even then, only some are attracted by the urea, the rest prefer to eat fish scales.

is that goby fw or sw? id love if they were traded , but youd probably have to have a species tank - theyd fit in most mouths

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back