[Solved] Firemouth - Injuries/markings On Nose

kaivalagi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am hoping this is nothing, and me just being overly concerned but I noticed new markings on my male Firemouth's nose this morning. I don't think they relate to disease or are viral but I wanted to post an image to get some expert feedback on.

The firemouth (juvi - 4in) currently shares the 125L tank with a convict (juvi - 4in), port acara (3in), geo red head (2in) and 4 x cory, 3 x oto, 1 x BN

And please please don't get on my case about the tank space, I have a 5ft tank (100g) on order which will be approx 3-4 weeks before being ready :) This tank was only ever meant to be for the cichlids when juvi and they have grown rapidly all of a sudden when I still have to wait one month for a bigger tank - typical...

At a guess I think there may have been a fight between the FM and Convict, as the convict has grown rapidly and now matches the FM's length, and of course Convicts have a reputation. The FM has been in the tank from the beginning with the Convict, Acara and Geo all joining him about 2 months ago. All has been fine so far but I am guessing the smallish tank size and good growth rates mean the tank is now too confined for them. They are all males...no female Cichlids are in the tank.

Can I rule out disease etc do you think?

What is the best course of action for the short term until I get the bigger tank? More frequent water changes to lower any infection risk?

I'm just waiting for a couple of hours after a water change before taking some water samples for testing, I'll post them once done.

Thanks for any advice/help

It's hard to see much in the pic, so can you explain in more detail what you see.

Also water stats would be good.

The markings look like scraped off skin, almost recessed into the nose, they look like uninfected scrapes but wasn't sure whether there is an affliction that could look like this other than a scrap between my fish.

Test results atleast 2 hrs after a 30% water change:

NH3: 0
NO2: 0
pH: 7.75
GH: 16
KH: 8
CO2: 4

The results are the same as when last tested over a month ago, there have been no changes to the tank in terms of layout, plants, rocks, or stocking for atleast 1 month

Did you try clicking on the thumbnail? the linked pic is much bigger, I've posted it at 100% below anyway, if you need a better focus shot I'll have to wait until feeding time this evening as trying to get a better shot now is not happening...

Edit: I've been looking at the JBL online hospital site and nothing really matches up. My tank water is hard and alkaline at pH7.5-7.75 so that rules out hole in he head disease I guess, I assume it wouldn't turn up overnight anyway. I think this is purely down to a fight and/or scraping on rock...?

fminjury.jpg

I would half dose some melafix. Not all fish tolerate the full dose.

Hole in the head will start of as pitting, pimples, or sores.

I have ellioti (from the same family as the firemouth) it looks to me like normal cichlid squabble injury, with clean water should heal up in a couple of days, but adding some melafix will help. Great close up pic btw

I have ellioti (from the same family as the firemouth) it looks to me like normal cichlid squabble injury, with clean water should heal up in a couple of days, but adding some melafix will help. Great close up pic btw

Great, well not great, but good to know you've seen this sort of thing before. I think tensions are increasing between him and the Convict...roll on the new tank with lots more room for all
My hand is getting steadier with the camera, still I'm not happy with the shot...1 in 20 are OK, what with low light and camera shy fish I can't complain :)
At least I can fix the light issue with the new tank...not sure what I can do about the FM's phobia for cameras...
hehe.gif

If things get worse you will have to issolate one of the fish.

If things get worse you will have to issolate one of the fish.

Thanks for the heads up, no more scrapes as yet. I am starting to wonder if in his over eagerness to eat the other day he hit the lights when going for floating pellets...either way there's been no more incidents and the wounds look superficial on further inspection, no sign of infection or anything like that either.

I think I'm going to do water changes every other day only for now, and not bother with any treatments - unless I don't see the wounds getting better that is. How long can I expect scrapes to take to heal?

I have some nice home made frozen veggy food with fresh garlic which I am going to try on them all for the first time tonight. From what I have read this wont do any harm at all, and might help the FM get on the mend quicker? Is it more of a long term diet thing or can giving food with garlic help immediately do you know? Something about the immune system but I am not sure how much is fact and how much is fiction?

Cheers

You can use garlic in there diet. Say about twice a week.
It's meant to boost the immune system, and stimulate appetite.
Also garlic boost are immune system.

New injuries again, an overnight occurrence it seems. The old ones cleared up fine, then he must have gone in for some more :)

Maybe it might help if I invested in some very dim moonlights so I and the fish can see what is going on vaguely...and not get too close for comfort and have a fight...maybe a crazy idea?
hehe.gif

I think I best start stocking Melafix...

New injuries again, an overnight occurrence it seems. The old ones cleared up fine, then he must have gone in for some more :)

Maybe it might help if I invested in some very dim moonlights so I and the fish can see what is going on vaguely...and not get too close for comfort and have a fight...maybe a crazy idea?
hehe.gif

2 of my firemouths get marks like this quite a lot! They fight over a rock they both like! I just water change twice a week and they clear up! I do not use melafix!

hehe.gif

2 of my firemouths get marks like this quite a lot! They fight over a rock they both like! I just water change twice a week and they clear up! I do not use melafix!

Thanks, that's given me a little reassurance, I guess I better get used to a little of this as the fish grow some. I'll stick with what I am doing. If this occurs I'll do a water change a few days after the scheduled weekly one, otherwise just weekly ones...

Anything serious though and I'll break open the melafix

how many firemouths do you have? Male to female ratio? I have 7 I think I have 4 females and 3 males ocassionally fights break out but they dont last long!

how many firemouths do you have? Male to female ratio? I have 7 I think I have 4 females and 3 males ocassionally fights break out but they dont last long!

I don't have a group, I have the following Juvi cichlids (all male):

1 x Firemouth
1 x Honduran Red Point
1 x Port Acara
1 x Geophagus sp 'Red Head Tapajos'

Pics via my sig below

I am not sure who the FM is scrapping with as I haven't seen any. He gets on fine with the Honduran and Geo during daytime, he doesn't like the port acara too much these days though and asserts his dominance once in a while, but without any biting. He is the boss of the tank with the Honduran a close second, but those two seem to get on just fine (when the lights are on)

Once I get my 5ft'er setup I may add some additional same species fish to what I have, but probably not...space is precious and breeding creates problems, especially because of the variety of fish I want. I may go for a Rotkeil Sev and a Blue Acara next if I can get hold of any when the time comes, upping the number of SA cichlids.

I think if I wanted to have a breeding pair I would add a second smaller tank to the house and try either Bolivian Rams or Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlids in a well planted tank...those would be easier to manager in my view.

Most reactions

Back