Soil/mud/clay As A Substrate?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RipSlider

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all.

Planning a new setup for my main tank ( 1,100l )

I'm thinking of going for a River Amazon/Negro setup. A few plants, huge amount of bog wood, leave on the bottom, lots of tannin in the water etc.

One of the things that I am thinking of experimenting with, purely to make it look more realistic, is to have a soil or clay substrate instead of sand.

Specifically, mixing either mud or clay with different sizes of gravel, 50:50.

I've never read about this, but it doesn't seem to cause wild fish any problems, so just wondering if anyone has tried it, or can forsee any issues with it. Would probably have to sterilise the media first, so thinking that I would just put it through an autoclave or boil it.

I realise that I need to make sure it's free of animal poo, fertilizer, weed killer etc. However, my next door neighbours garden is 100% organic, and has been for years, and so I could source from there.

Many thanks

Steve

Hello all.

Planning a new setup for my main tank ( 1,100l )

I'm thinking of going for a River Amazon/Negro setup. A few plants, huge amount of bog wood, leave on the bottom, lots of tannin in the water etc.

One of the things that I am thinking of experimenting with, purely to make it look more realistic, is to have a soil or clay substrate instead of sand.

Specifically, mixing either mud or clay with different sizes of gravel, 50:50.

I've never read about this, but it doesn't seem to cause wild fish any problems, so just wondering if anyone has tried it, or can forsee any issues with it. Would probably have to sterilise the media first, so thinking that I would just put it through an autoclave or boil it.

I realise that I need to make sure it's free of animal poo, fertilizer, weed killer etc. However, my next door neighbours garden is 100% organic, and has been for years, and so I could source from there.

Many thanks

Steve

Won't it be really hard to keep clear water?

To read about it, I'd suggest Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. She uses soil as her substrates for her "low-tech" planted tanks. I think that the key is to wash it just like anything else -- you want to try to minimize the number of really fine particulates in the water.

I think your main concerns will be the large amount of decaying organics in the soil along with possible parasite introduction. Defo consider uv sterilizer.

already got a 25W UV tube which would be going in any way.

What would be the problem with the decaying organics?

Steve

I think your main concerns will be the large amount of decaying organics in the soil along with possible parasite introduction. Defo consider uv sterilizer.

this was my thought too. you said you wanted to have leaves on the bottom. the bacteria and fungi that forms from decaying leaves might be a problem in the relatively still waters of an aquarium. i don't know that for sure by the way but it would be a concern for me. it's just a thought from someone who doesn't know that much. :blush:

if you do this i would like to see pics

The reason for suggesting leaves is that a number of people has set up tanks with added leaves, usually beech or oak.

steve

I have used (in the past) fullers earth as a sub-substrate
the plants grew very well in it.
however when it came time to change the tanks layout, I ended up having to
empty it as best I could and then taking it outside to wash all the gunk out of it.

it is not something I'd want to do again.

if the leaves dont work you can always get some stuff like moss and tie it to a piece of slate and let it grow all over the substrate :)

Sounds really cool but i could see a problem with decaying organics. If you keep a really good eye on water quality then it should be no problem though. Slakey's moss idea sounds neat also i may have to try that one. Post picks when you're done.

To read about it, I'd suggest Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium. She uses soil as her substrates for her "low-tech" planted tanks. I think that the key is to wash it just like anything else -- you want to try to minimize the number of really fine particulates in the water.

That book is pretty dang interesting. If you do decide to do it though, let the soil sit in there a week and do a water change before you put anything in. I think that is what she recommended in the book :good:

Most reactions

Back