So Many Babies

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I found him! He's so cute. :wub:

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 8.54.26 AM.png

Cory eggs are around 2mm in diameter, some a little larger some a little smaller. Pygmies are only 1mm.

Usually though they get eaten before they're noticed.
My paleatus have been spawning each day this week, different female.

Today's eggs were eaten before I saw them. Evidence was egg marks on my glass.
View attachment 118907

The "debris" in the water is the bubbles from the output of my HOB since they laid them on the back wall.
All the eggs were eaten, either by my hoplos or my BN pleco lol
I guess mine are just little piggies. I really enjoy your poss about them. Thanks for sharing.

@AdoraBelle Dearheart you wanted an update on the setup.

My albino paleatus have spawned and now I've got my first albino babies!
Plus my regular paleatus spawned.
And my aeneus again.
And my trilineatus.
Ive also got a pygmaeus baby in there too. Hes the oldest of the fry in the nursery.

My nursery, which I keep eggs and young fry in. I collect eggs from the parent tanks and place them in here. Water changed daily.
20201010_151838.jpg

My first albino paleatus babies!
20201009_230618.jpg

Normal paleatus baby, theyre very dark compared to the aeneus fry
20201010_154553.jpg

Mix of babies. There's 10 here
20201009_141718.jpg

20201009_14171hdxh8.jpg

Pygmaeus and aeneus fry, the pygmaeus is over a week old, the black and white striped one, the aeneus were 1 day old here.
20201008_090132.jpg

And trilineatus spawning
20201008_195859.jpg

And my older fry grow out, a 10g I keep under the stand of my 46g. Pretty bare as this is their final grow out before I find them homes. It gets to be a hassle trying to net fish with lots of plants around lol
Right now houses 16 aeneus juveniles, an adult sparkling gourami, a juvenile male sparkling gourami (my friend is taking these at her convenience, for now they're just being held here), and two small sparkler fry that were too small to sell, one got in a fight though and something is now wrong where it can't swim well. I am keeping that one, he will likely stay in the 10g as his longterm home as he will be safest there.
20201008_205653.jpg

20201008_205845.jpg

20201008_205827.jpg

The sparkler.
20201007_221542bbqy.jpg

Oh my goodness, so many tiny adorable babies!! :wub: Thank you for sharing the progress, helps so much to see how someone who successfully breeds them, manages it!

If my current crop of eggs doesn't make it, I'm tempted to keep the four bronze in the QT for a bit longer and try to get them to spawn again, since by then I'll have another air pump and hopefully be more prepared with MB and stuff. Wanna try to rear some cory babies now I'm over the shock of them laying eggs!

They must be feeling okay in there for them to spawn, right?

Oh my goodness, so many tiny adorable babies!! :wub: Thank you for sharing the progress, helps so much to see how someone who successfully breeds them, manages it!

If my current crop of eggs doesn't make it, I'm tempted to keep the four bronze in the QT for a bit longer and try to get them to spawn again, since by then I'll have another air pump and hopefully be more prepared with MB and stuff. Wanna try to rear some cory babies now I'm over the shock of them laying eggs!

They must be feeling okay in there for them to spawn, right?
Yeah they will spawn if they feel comfortable and settled. And aeneus fry grow well too. They will likely also lay regularly.

Yeah they will spawn if they feel comfortable and settled. And aeneus fry grow well too. They will likely also lay regularly.
Yay! I'm so happy they feel comfortable and settled :wub:
If these fry hatch, I'll move the adults over to the 57 gallon. I'll only delay them to spawn again if these eggs aren't viable. Just because if they spawn in the 57 gallon, no way will any eggs make it, too many fish that would eat the eggs right away, lol.

Yay! I'm so happy they feel comfortable and settled :wub:
If these fry hatch, I'll move the adults over to the 57 gallon. I'll only delay them to spawn again if these eggs aren't viable. Just because if they spawn in the 57 gallon, no way will any eggs make it, too many fish that would eat the eggs right away, lol.
Yeah egg day can turn into feast day lol

Aaww! The older aeneus are getting so big! How old are all these little batches?
The oldest aeneus batch in the 10g grow out are 42 days old
The younger aeneus are 10 days old.
The paleatus are 7 days old

My paleatus babies are even more precious since I lost several of my adults this week.
20201023_203856.jpg

aeneus babies doing good
This first one has a goofy tail, I plan to keep him
20201020_012624.jpg
20201020_012750.jpg

Aaww, I love the goofy tail one! I'd keep him too. Have you thought of a name for him/her yet? :D

How do you keep your fry viable? Cories have been a real challenge for this old breeder. How much water do you change daily?

Aaww, I love the goofy tail one! I'd keep him too. Have you thought of a name for him/her yet? :D
No clue yet. Open to suggestions :D

How do you keep your fry viable? Cories have been a real challenge for this old breeder. How much water do you change daily?
With the small fry I change up to 90% daily, careful to be exact temperature as their old water and slowly added to their tank.
But losses are normal with cory fry especially when small. Generally the losses slow down once they reach about 1/2 inch or more.
Ive been losing the odd fry here and there with the younger batch too, but still have well over 20 so far.

So I got 3 paleatus fry left. I'm really rooting for them... lots of aeneus, but its the paleatus I'm really really needing to stay--i lost the parents to them earlier this week.
I thought I only had the 2 albinos left but one little dark guy popped up today, so im happy to see theres 3. Maybe more if theyre hiding like that guy.
These are the 3 paleatus fry. 2 albinos and 1 normal.
20201027_172153.jpg
20201027_171934.jpg

And my goofy tailed keeper got moved to the adult tank. He's so dark!
20201026_140537.jpg

theres his mom in the background!
20201026_140701.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back