snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

asumel

Reaction score
i just found loads of small snails in my tank what do i do with them and where did
they come from

You have 2 options, either get rid of them or keep them. If you keep them they'll multiply very quickly. To get rid of them, either do it by hand or use a snail trap. Put some lettuce in a glass bottle, put the bottle on the bottom of the tank, wait a night and hopefully in the morning you will have a bottle full of snails.

They most probably hitched a ride on some plants that you bought.

If you don't have plants (which you obviously do) they're not as big a deal, IMO. They eat algae and some have been known to eat fish poop. If you want to control their population when they get out of hand there are fish that can crush their shells and eat them. Clown loaches do this as well as other fish I can't think of at the moment because it is at this point....past my bedtime.

Good luck.

Hi asumel :)

A few snails, or even their eggs, might have come in on plant.

It's entirely possible to have just a few of them in there for years. It's when they suddenly start to multiply that you have to worry. That's an indication that they have a large enough food source to support their increased numbers, and that could mean trouble.

Give your tank a good cleaning and cut back a bit on what you are feeding. This alone will slow their reproduction and eventurlly they will almost disappear. Also, hand pick them out or use lettuce as bait as gadazobe described, but never use any commercial preparation to kill them off. This is likely to result in a lot of dead snails rotting away and polluting your water, and you will have to pick them all out anyway, or redo your whole tank. :X

Inchworm said:
Hi asumel :)

A few snails, or even their eggs, might have come in on plant.

It's entirely possible to have just a few of them in there for years. It's when they suddenly start to multiply that you have to worry. That's an indication that they have a large enough food source to support their increased numbers, and that could mean trouble.

Give your tank a good cleaning and cut back a bit on what you are feeding. This alone will slow their reproduction and eventurlly they will almost disappear. Also, hand pick them out or use lettuce as bait as gadazobe described, but never use any commercial preparation to kill them off. This is likely to result in a lot of dead snails rotting away and polluting your water, and you will have to pick them all out anyway, or redo your whole tank. :X
thanks alot guys i dowt that ill hand cach them cuz their tiny so ill use the snail trap

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back