snails

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

navigator

Reaction score
Hi there folks, have had my tank set up for a few months now and all water readings are fine, have had to deal with that bug ich already but treatment has been successful- but now i have found to my amazement a snail in my tank, i have not added snails to it so can anyone make a possible suggestion as to where it may have came from and how do i get rid of them.
many thanx
the nav

if you have plants snails would almost always stow away with plants ( expecially normal non super quality plants)

snails are super bad if they get suuper many especially if you get the plant munching variety

-one way of controlling the snails is picking them out one by one
-another way is by not feeding your fish too much so as not to overfeed the snails too
-biological means of control like clown loaches ( BE CAREFULL WITH THIS SOLUTION)
-last and the leaaast recommended would be to use "snailticides"

in reality it is quite hard to keep a snail free tank so the trick i think is control, i have snails in my tank but they dont take over my tank, i keep tabs by picking em out everytime i see a big one

*BTW to anybody else that will read this question, do snails have a breeding age ?

Have you added Plants? It's likely the Snails came on them.

To get rid...

Put a piece of lettuce in the Tank over night. The Snails should be attracted to this, take it out and get rid it and the Snails. I've not had to try this so don't know how successful it is.

You can by treatments to get rid of them, But that would be adding chemicals to your Tank when you don't really need to.

Or the old fashioned method.....Pick them out manually.

Edit Someone beat me to it :D

I suffered badly with snails last time I had a set up. I tried the lettuce leaf trick as well as snail away.

The lettuce trick didn't work so good for me. I hardly had any snails caught this way.

The snail away just stunned the snails and they fell into the gravel and then I couldn't get to them!! Then I think it polluted my tank cos some snails died.

I found I couldn't always siphon them either. A smaller tube helped (the type used for air pumps), but then they'd get stuck in it!

So I would recommend manually removing them whenever you see them.

Sam

You may not really want to get rid of them, but like some of the other posters mentioned, just try to keep control of them.

I had a TON of snails in my tank thanks to a few live plants and they were makin' babies in my filter. It grossed me out to no end. So what did I do? I got rid of them! I took apart my filter and scrubbed it, picked out eveything I could see in the tank, and after a while I had no more snails. :blink: but I suddenly found myself cleaning the tank a lot more and I ended up sad that I'd gotten rid of them all.

Most reactions

Back