Snail/Shrimp Bioload

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IHaveADogToo

Fish Crazy
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
The guy at the pet store (I know, right) says he doesn't account for snails in community tank bioloads. I didn't ask him about shrimp. I know both shrimp and snails are generally low bioload contributors, but are they really so low they don't need to be accounted for when stocking a tank?

Or is it one of those things where it's like every 10 snails counts as 1 fish bioload-wise?

I know some of our members keep species-only shrimp tanks. How do you factor shrimp bioload?

Depends on how big the shrimp/ snails are, how many there are, and how much food they get.

If you have a couple of 4 inch long Macrobrachium or crayfish/ crawfish they are definitely going to add to bio-load especially if they are fed well each day. However, if you only have a couple of small cherry shrimp they aren't going to add to the bio-load.

Snails are the same, a couple of Ramshorn snails aren't going to add anything to the tank but 200 Ramshorn snails will.

So quantity is when it becomes important, then? Is there some sort of standard for them? Like there is with the 1 inch of fish per gallon standard? I know that 1 inch of fish per gallon rule is flawed, but it's a commonly used standard none-the-less. Is there a similar standard with small inverts? Maybe like X number of shrimp per gallon, or X number of snails per gallon?

Quantity and size.

There is no rule of thumb for how many inch of shrimp is suitable for x litres of water. About the only way you could estimate it would be to try and make a fish out of the shrimp, visually, not actually. Basically if you could stick 4 or 5 cherry shrimp together they might be a similar size and mass to a golden barb so those 4 or 5 shrimp would produce a similar bio-load to 1 golden barb.

If you had a 4inch long crayfish then it is going to have the same bio-load as a 4 inch long angelfish or barb.

I have over 200 Red Cherry shrimp and 10 Bumblebee Gobys in a 15 gallon 2 foot tank and its no problem, however I would not have 3 mystery snails like the one in the photo in the same tank.

X4jLe09.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back