smallest freshwater stingray

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The way I understand it, there's no freshwater ray with an adult disk size smaller than a foot (plus tail) and most are considerably bigger.

I seem to recall reading of a ray with a disk size of 8" (a quick FYI, Rays will almost always be given in terms of disc size and the length of the tail is not included) that can come on the market for aqurist very occasionally.

In normal times though SirM is right. All the usual suspects will reach around a foot accross and many larger. Hence the recommended minimum tank width being 30" (24" is a bare minimum but I don't think this is very fair on the ray).

HIH

Andy

The smallest available FW stingray is Potamotrygon scobina which grows to have a disk size of around 12" across.

andywg said:
I seem to recall reading of a ray with a disk size of 8" (a quick FYI, Rays will almost always be given in terms of disc size and the length of the tail is not included) that can come on the market for aqurist very occasionally.

In normal times though SirM is right. All the usual suspects will reach around a foot accross and many larger. Hence the recommended minimum tank width being 30" (24" is a bare minimum but I don't think this is very fair on the ray).

HIH

Andy
[snapback]847699[/snapback]​
a 30 inch room to move is hardly more fair than 24. if you can't support a 300 gallon tank that is more shallow and deep than tall, than i wouldn't even look into getting one. they need a lot of floor space with minimal decorations.

CFC and andywg are right.

A scobina is the smallest that grows to be 12" or the hystrix that grows to be 14".
Either way, look forward to having a tank that is atleast 2and half feet in width :D
And for decorations, yeah, I don't have lots. but who said you need tons of plants and ordiments in your tank anyways right? :rolleyes:

P. Scobina's are gorgeous!

bob%206.JPG

bob%20(1).JPG

bob.JPG

they can prove a litle harder to find but well worth it and alot less stressful than your usual rays like the reticulatus and hystrix, these 2 can be very hardder to get onto a good food source other than bloodworms and river shrimp, my scobina was eating whole muscles and lance fish from the start, so although maybe a bit expensive for a first ray definately easier to care for.

My guy is about a 10" disc.

I just have to throw out something to you guys, beings that you are more versed in Rays then I am....

What about a stingray that has surfaced from time to time in the States that is called a "Tea Cup Stingray", are these fresh water or brackish and I thought they only get to be around 6 inches in diameter? I could be wrong, but I think I have read something about them......I am in California, so the only way I could get one is to go to Oregon or Nevada and smuggle it back, so I am just going on what I have heard. :dunno:

Tea cup is just a name given to any small unidentified ray species . When small several of the species look alike and cannot be identified by external characteristics. They are usually either Potamotrygon hysterix or Potamotrygon reticulata both of which can get up to a 15" disk.

Hey they are :kewlpics: and a beutiful ray :wub: :wub: but are FAR to expensive, at my store they are from £500 - £899 WAY to expensive :/

The smallest species of the genus, P. scobina, reaches 20.5 to 27 cm in disc width.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back