Small white worms on driftwood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SweetTart

Reaction score
Hello! I have been cycling my 10 gallon tank for four weeks now, and just this Monday I put in a piece of driftwood that I had curing outside for 2 weeks and boiled for 2 hours.
I noticed the day after that white fungus was growing on the wood, and from what I looked up it seemed like this was normal.

But I just noticed today that there are tiny white worms in some areas.

Luq1TDY.jpg

What are they? I planned to buy a Betta and 2 nertite snails from my lfs tomorrow, will these hurt them? Should I get rid of them/wait till they're gone?

Update: I've noticed there are a bunch on the front glass of the tank as well. I'm pretty worried

Last edited:
These are baby detritus worms, I would take the water out of the tank and give all the rocks and other decor a good scrub with some hot water and then put them back in (not the driftwood) and re-cycle the tank and then get the betta and snails after your done with the cycle....

good scrub with some hot water and then put them back in (not the driftwood) and re-cycle the tank and then get the betta and snails after your done with the cycle....
I was worried I'd have to do that.. Do you mean I should give up on the driftwood? Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again, and it can still be used?

I was worried I'd have to do that.. Do you mean I should give up on the driftwood? Is there anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen again, and it can still be used?

Soak it in a bleach solution. Get a large container, mix bleach and distilled water together, and place your driftwood under the water. Use 2 teaspoons of bleach per gallon of distilled water. Soaking in a bleach solution will help to kill off any spores or bacteria that are lingering on the wood.

Also make sure to get off the little worms with a high pressured hose or faucet....

Also make sure to get off the little worms with a high pressured hose or faucet....
I've already scrubbed and washed the driftwood under a hot faucet, I'll be sure to do the same after I use the bleach solution just to be sure! Thank you for the help!

Don't forget to scrub the inside with hot water of the tank too.. I reccomend using an algae scrubber
I've already scrubbed and washed the driftwood under a hot faucet, I'll be sure to do the same after I use the bleach solution just to be sure! Thank you for the help!
No problem, if you ever need any more help just DM me!!:good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back