Small Patio Pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tolak

Gun Toting Lunatic
Reaction score
I was at an auction last weekend, and picked up a new water bowl for the dog, at least that's how I explained it to my wife;

dsc0104414ug.jpg

I put the Pepsi can in for size reference, it's around 24" x 18" x 4" deep. I always pick up something goofy at club functions if my wife doesn't attend with me, she actually likes this item. :)

Now for the questions. I breed angels, have tanks loaded with them, and know ziltch about outdoor aquatics & plants. I'm guessing this thing holds between 5 to 7 gallons, making it pretty much unsuitable for fish, as the temperature will probably range from 50F to near 100F. A few minnows, or flags might make it, I'm not real sure about that one, and wouldn't want to try freezing or boiling any fish.

I would like to put a few plants in it though, I'm guessing something floating or a short potted type of plant. I have a pump for it, so water circulation is not a problem. I could easily rig some foam for bio filtration if I could find a few small fish that could tolerate that temperature range. I also have a few spare submersable heaters, I could toss one of those in if needed.

I realize something like this is mainly a decorative type of thing, I'm just trying to think of some ways to dress it up a little. If nothing else, I think it's $10 well spent on a fancy water bowl for my geriatric cairn terrier. :)

Hmm, no ideas yet from our pondkeepers. I may just toss in a handfull of java moss to see how fast it will grow.

I take it this is going to be an indoor fish tub thing? If you keep it outdoors it'll fry in the summer and freeze in the winter...Any filtration for it? If you keep it indoors, i would use it as a fry tank or raise some live fish food in it sort of tank (this would be quite interesting i think) ...
No true coldwater fish that'll fit in a 7gal, and none that will be able to cope with outdoor weather in that, otherwise just keep it as a planted tank :thumbs: .

Tolak...there is a manmade lake near me that was contaminated and overrun with a plant that sustains similar temperatures. I think it is cabomba. The only thing is that with such a small amount of water, outdoors, I think extremes may just turn that into an algae farm. Unless....you could keep a reservoir of water in a cool place (underground?) that would help cool it. But...I am NOT a pond/outdoor water expert by any means. SH

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back