Slime Monster!!

SarahBravo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am 3 weeks into a fishless cycle, using fish food instead of ammonia as I can't seem to get any here in the UK. A couple of days ago I found a dead bluebottle (housefly) floating in my tank surrounded by tiny white worm like things, about 1 - 2 mm long. Most were dead but some were still wriggling and they were all on or near the surface. I now have semi translucent white 'slime' growing on one of my decorations, and thick clear gunk on all the rubber suckers in the tank. There is also brown stuff (poss algae?) over the tank glass, plants, rocks and decorations.

Should I empty the tank, sterilise it and start again? And if so, what can I disinfect the plants with or should I bin them and buy some more? (Hope not, they're all growing well).

Thanks for any advice guys.

Sarah

PS. I'll try and get some pics, if I figure out how to get them on here!

The tiny white worm things could be planeria, do they move in a spiral motion?
If so they are planeria and these are harmless and won't effect your fish at all :)

The white gunk and brown algae also sound as though they are fine. I get white gunk on my wood every now and then and my plec just gobbles it up and i syphon the rest off. The brown algae is sometimes a sign that the cycle is coming to an end as it is made up of 'good' bacteria.

All in all it seems that you are just experiencing normal cycling effects and you don't have to worry (and certainly not sterilise the tank :) )

HTH

Most reactions

Back