Sleeping Fish

pseud said:
sylvia said:
"my clown loach used to do that"

'spoon'? or lay on it's side? :p
Hehehe.

Clown Loaches sound interesting, how large do they grow adult size?
In the wild that can grow to 12 inches.

In an aquarium they rarely get larger than 6-8 inches. And even then, it takes YEARS for them to do so. Several people on the forum say that at 3-4 years, their loach is only ~3 inches.

Whenever someone makes a loach thread, there's always about 15 replies of 'get a bigger tank, you need at least 400 billion gallons in order to keep them happy.' Which just isn't true... bigger tanks are always people's answers here I've found.

whoa, 12 inches... niiiiiiiice, hehe... What about compatibility with a red tailed black shark? I know they can be aggressive and territorial...

My clowns are quite peaceful, though their constant movement is a little annoying to some slower fish. Here is a pic of some loaches sleeping. SOOO cute!

clown_loach_napping_small.jpg

I would reccomend Skunk Botias though if you have a small tank. THey are slightly more aggressive then Clowns but stay smaller and have a similar personality.

Jezah said:
My clowns are quite peaceful, though their constant movement is a little annoying to some slower fish. Here is a pic of some loaches sleeping. SOOO cute!
My loach pretty much stays in his little hollowed out log, coems out for a little exercise and to eat every now and then but thats it. 'Constant' movement isn't hardly the word I qould describe for mine anyway, heh.

Hmmm, I have a fiddler crab... don't want him to pinch them while they're sleeping!

Poor clown loach is going to die raven. I wouldnt go with skunk loaches. There are many other small loaches. Chain loaches, orange finned loaches,and yo yo loaches are just a few and plus the 3 I listed are peaceful.

The-Raven said:
Jezah said:
My loach pretty much stays in his little hollowed out log, coems out for a little exercise and to eat every now and then but thats it. 'Constant' movement isn't hardly the word I qould describe for mine anyway, heh.
He probably doesn't come out much and run around because clown loaches need to be in groups of three or more. I have three and they are together constantly. Though today i saw one just laying around and got nervous :rolleyes: I should know better by now.

Whenever someone makes a loach thread, there's always about 15 replies of 'get a bigger tank, you need at least 400 billion gallons in order to keep them happy.' Which just isn't true... bigger tanks are always people's answers here I've found.

The reason everyone says to get a bigger tank with clown loaches or any fish that grows to large sizes for that matter, is that by keeping potentially large fish in small tanks stunts their growth. Their insides will continue to grow but their bodies won't. It means a painful premature death to the fish.

BTW, clown loaches if kept in optimum conditions will live for about 15-20 years. They only reach maturity after 10 years.

in another thread people were saying that the internal organs growing but hte outsides not was not true.

colegamby said:
in another thread people were saying that the internal organs growing but hte outsides not was not true.
The truth is nobody here knows - you'll learn to recognize when someone is blowing air up your backside quick ;)

Ya Raven, your poor loach. He needs to have friends, thats why he doesnt move much! I only have 2, and will be getting more, and they are little hyperactive buggers. I have mine in a 29g right now, and work at a pet store so soon will be getting a huge tank....hopefully.

The-Raven said:
colegamby said:
The truth is nobody here knows - you'll learn to recognize when someone is blowing air up your backside quick ;)
That's quite a statement. I know of at least one physician on the board who probably does know and it is an international forum so there may be plenty of qualified people that know one way or the other. To assume you have communicated with them all in your time here is probably an over-estimation. Perhaps you will eventually upgrade to a bigger tank. Clowns do take many years to grow and I see no problem keeping a 2 inch fish a 29g for a year or two or however long it takes to grow. It’s not a 10g so imo you have some leeway. What you do know though is that clowns are social fish and should be kept in groups. The evidence is of your guy hiding all the time. Your not caring is only evidence of a cruel heart. If you cannot afford the fish’s needs an alternative is to act like a grown up and take on the responsibility of keeping fish when you are able to.

colegamby said:
it is true, I have seen it with my own two eyes.
think of it this way
if you put, say a baby rat in a small box it will not grow to a full sized rat the body will stop growing at the boxes edges, the internal organs will still grow becomming deformed and eventually it will die.(NEVER, EVER DO THIS!)
why is a fish any different?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back