Skinny discus

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
I have this discus for about 6 or 7 months now and this guy seems to be skinnier and skinnier.

Iā€™ve tried feeding him bloodworm 3 times a day and treat him with Metronidazole, do a daily water changes and heā€™s still skinny and probably have finrot.

My question is; can Metronidazole kill any internal parasite? Or was it just for bacterial infection.

@Colin_T s_Detari

I think metro is an antibiotic
In posts similar to internal parasites colin has reccomend Flubendazole- as it treats both types of parasitic worms. Online might be your easiest way to find that one. When I bought it online for koi who had worms, it came in a powder form. So I mixed it with a cup of the hospital tank water in a big bowl before adding it to the hospital tank

Colin_T recommends metronidazole for intestinal protozoan infections. But it doesn't kill intestinal worms, and I know that there is a worming product targeted at discus which contains flubendazole. This is a powder and may be the one PorshaF refers to - Wormer Plus.

Flubendazole are illegal here and most fish store are selling med that doesnā€™t tell you the ingredients at the back (mostly stuff from china) and I donā€™t know if I can trust those tbh.

Is there any alternative?

My question is; can Metronidazole kill any internal parasite? Or was it just for bacterial infection.
Metronidazole is an anti-biotic and anti-protozoan medication designed for people. It only kills some bacteria and certain protozoans. As a general rule it does not treat many internal bacterial infections in fish but does treat most internal protozoan infections in fish.

-------------------
What does the fish's poop look like?

Are there other bigger discus in the same tank?
If yes, they might be bullying it.

-------------------
Flubendazole are illegal here and most fish store are selling med that doesnā€™t tell you the ingredients at the back (mostly stuff from china) and I donā€™t know if I can trust those tbh.

Is there any alternative?
Levamisole is a pig, poultry and cattle wormer and is available around the world from stock feed stores. It is used to treat thread/ round worms.

Praziquantel is a dog and cat deworming medication and is available all around the world. You can buy it from vets, stock feeders, supermarkets or anywhere that sells dog and cat food. It only treats tapeworm and gill flukes, and does not treat thread/ round worms.

Metronidazole is an anti-biotic and anti-protozoan medication designed for people. It only kills some bacteria and certain protozoans. As a general rule it does not treat many internal bacterial infections in fish but does treat most internal protozoan infections in fish.

-------------------
What does the fish's poop look like?

Are there other bigger discus in the same tank?
If yes, they might be bullying it.

-------------------

Levamisole is a pig, poultry and cattle wormer and is available around the world from stock feed stores. It is used to treat thread/ round worms.

Praziquantel is a dog and cat deworming medication and is available all around the world. You can buy it from vets, stock feeders, supermarkets or anywhere that sells dog and cat food. It only treats tapeworm and gill flukes, and does not treat thread/ round worms.
"Praziquantel is a dog and cat deworming medication and is available all around the world. You can buy it from vets, stock feeders, supermarkets or anywhere that sells dog and cat food."

Same as this, correct?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LOBGYA/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you suspect internal parasites, an effective natural way to deworm is fresh garlic, pellet size cut, 4-5 pieces/day.
You could also feed it with Discus food containing garlic.

If you suspect internal parasites, an effective natural way to deworm is fresh garlic, pellet size cut, 4-5 pieces/day.
You could also feed it with Discus food containing garlic.
i put garlic juice into fish food and then feed whatever fish

I tried to find Praziquantel and Levamisole in the pet store, there is a med with 3 ingredients; Pyrantel, Praziquentel and albendazole, I don't know if the 2 ingredients is dangerous or not :/

I'll tried garlic though

I tried to find Praziquantel and Levamisole in the pet store, there is a med with 3 ingredients; Pyrantel, Praziquentel and albendazole, I don't know if the 2 ingredients is dangerous or not :/

I'll tried garlic though
they might need some fishy mouth wash after so much garlic!!šŸ˜‰

I'll tried garlic though
They should be fine for fish and treat thread/ round worms and tapeworms.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back