Skinny Clown Loachs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

2polypterus

Reaction score
I have had three clown loachs for about two years now, one 2", one 3" and one 4". They were doing great for all that time, plump and happy. I wanted to get some more clowns because I thought they would be happier in a larger group. I bought three new clowns all at 2". They seemed healthy and fat at the time. Now, it is a few months later and the new three are very thin while all the other fish in the tank are a healthy weight. The 4" clown got really skinny and died already but the other two original clowns still look fine. I am assuming I brought parasites into the tank with the new guys? I have a ten gallon I can use to QT the 5 clowns but is there any med out there that really works for this problem? I'm sure other people must have gone through this with loachs at some point as it seems to be a common problem. What medicines have you used that have actually worked? Also, could any of the other fish catch the parasites? They all seem fine. There are angels, a synodontis cat, a senegalus bichir, an ornate bichir, 7 congo tetras and a few others I prob forgot. I would really appreciate some insight here from someone who has dealt with this before. Thanks so much!

http://www.bollmoraakvarieklubb.org/artikl...own%20loach.htm

Metronidazole: (FLAGYL) Treatment of hole in the head disease (
hexamita ) salt water ich or bloat. 250 ml per 20 gallons of water, and can be mixed in foods

Taken from the link.

Loss of weight or "skinny disease" is also quite common in Clown loaches. Typical symptoms are loss of weight and behaviour known as "knifeback" even though the fish is acting and eating normally. This sickness is more difficult to treat, it comes from a parasite organism (spironucleus) in the intestines of the same type that is thought to cause the so called "discus disease". I have successfully removed this disease from newly imported fish by using Spirohexol from JBL in the form of tablets. I have taken one tablet and crushed it and dissolve it in as little water as possible. I have then used discus granules which have been soaked in the solution. It becomes like a thick porridge after a short time when the food has drawn in the liquid. I then feed this to the sick fishes, after a week it looks like the sickness is gone. For the best possible effect do not feed with any other food. Flagyl (Metronidazole) also helps fight against this sickness but at least here in Sweden it is on prescription and can be a little difficult to come by.

Well you can feed them sinking tablet as food. Such as Hikari Sinking Wafers. They are great for loaches. Heres a link below for this food.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113280

Also if the clown loaches are young you can give them Hikari Micro Wafers. Heres a link for this food as well.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113280

A guy who I clean his large 150 gallon tank(also maintain the tank) has loaches and at first I notice that he had them skinny. So he wanted me to help him. It so happens they were getting improper nutrition. But after I recommended him buying the two items I mentioned above it had a dramatic change. They are very well feed now and they seem to enjoy the food. Hope this information helped you.

Should be able to get this med in the states is the best med for skinny desease in clown loaches.
Metronidazole: (FLAGYL) Treatment of hole in the head disease (
hexamita ) salt water ich or bloat. 250 ml per 20 gallons of water, and can be mixed in foods.

OK i finally found a source of Metronidazole... Its a Seachem product. I spoke to a technician on the phone and he said it needs to be fed to the fish. Any ideas on the best way to do this? I was thinking mix the powder with flake and small pellet food and water and then freeze it in little balls? He also said the medicine would not harm any of the other fish if they ate it. He told me to feed it once every two to three days for like two weeks? Sound right?

I would ask tolak a mod he knows how to mix it in food.

THANK YOU all for your help and suggestions. I started treatment Monday by adding to the water and mixing it in food. This really makes the tank a gross mess though, especially without the cartridges in the filter. So tues i did a 25% vacuum out. I treated again in food only wed. today i'm going to do another water change. Friday I will treat again. I'm not sure really how many times i should treat? They are getting no other food besides treated food. I'll keep ya posted on how this turns out. Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back