Skin Problem On Pleco

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BBrain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My pleco has a pale patch on both sides, as the attached photo shows. I'm guessing velvet. Any opinions on this, and/or treatment? I'll do water quality tests, and post the results, ASAP, but in the meantime, I just wanted to get this photo up.

6ca0c785.jpg

It's hard to say by the pic, does the white patch look fluffy, as patches like that can been bacterial to parasites, the plec look abit thin to me is he.
Yes we will need your water stats.
Plus what does it look like when he goes to the toilet.

Water stats:

29 gallon planted tank, in operation about 3 weeks
Temperature 25.5 C
pH 7.5
Nitrites 0.2 mg/L
Un-ionized ammonia 0.02 mg/L

This is the only fish, and has been in the tank 10 days.
He had the pale area when I got him, but it looks a little thicker now, but has not spread.
His poop is usually about 1 or 2 cm long, pale, and trails behind him for awhile.
Diet is Hikari Algae Wafers.
He usually has a plump abdomen, and is active during the day, swimming and eating.
He just went 3 days without feeding, while I was out of town, so he is thinner than usual. During that time, I had also lowered the temperature to about 24 C.

I forgot to say: the pale area is not fluffy-looking, but dusty-looking.

Need to get him on a better diet, like frozen foods and veg, water stats are not good either.
As bad water quality can cause this, though you say it's a dusting any signs of flicking and rubbing, or laboured breathing, though that still could be due to poor water quality, increase aeration.

Actually it looks more slimey than dusty. Attached is a closeup that may show this better.
2006-05-19mytank001cr2.jpg

No flicking or rubbing. I don't think he's breathing fast, but it's hard to see.

The timer just turned the light out, and his dorsal fin is erect again. It is usually erect, but I just added more lighting, and I think that made him subdued.

I'll do a partial water change. My Aquaclear 50 HOB filter is on high already, so I'll leave the water level lower, to make more of an aerating waterfall into the tank. I also have an air pump and stone, so I'll get that going, also.

Good idea about an omnivorous diet. I bet he'll like frozen bloodworms. What veggie do you suggest?

EDIT: Should I medicate?

Anything green, like cucumba, peas, broc, spinach, lettuce, he needs a good varied diet, try the water changes for now, as if he's not flicking and rubbing or heavy breathing, as it can be due to poor water quality, good luck.

Missed that bit about he had patches when you got him, i would increase aeration, and add half a dose of a parasite med that treat most parasites, like whitespot, velvet and such, best to half dose with plecs as they don't tolerate parasites med to well.

I have Jungle Parasite Clear here, so will half-dose that now. I wasn't sure about Pleco's medication sensitivities, so thanks for that. Tonight, I will give him some blanched zucchini.

Thanks VERY much, Wilder! :good:

This guy's my first pleco, and I really like him, and don't want to see him sick!

That's normal stress colouration on a gibby - De Niro had that colouring non stop for a few days after we got him, and still does it when we point a camera at him *lol*. The bad news is in the long run you're going to need a MUCH bigger tank for him, as he could easily reach 18". For now I would get him on some courgette and keep on top of the water. Mine doesn't really go for live food - gibbys are omnivores, but in an opportunitic way (they don't really go for live food basically, but scavenge). You could try him with a prawn but for now good wafers, pellets and a chunk of courgette weighed down with a fork/spoon (stainless steel) would do him good.

Edited to add: I wouldn't bother blanching the veg - it goes soft quite quickly in the tank and when it's blanched it breaks up before they get a good chomp on it.

Just to add: Have you got any bogwood in your tank? De Niro lives for bogwood *lol*.

How's he doing, as plec are very sensitive with water quality.

Kathy M, thanks for that info. Yes, for sure he is under some stress.

I forgot to mention earlier, that the filter is only a week old, being a replacement for one that was running about 3 or 4 weeks. I planted the bacteria-laden filter floss from the old filter into the new filter, but of course it will take awhile for the new filter to be up to speed.

I have no wood in the tank (yet), but I'm boiling some as we speak.

Hey, I thought the British didn't like the French.. :D ... so how come you use a French word for zucchini? ("courgette") :D

What's a "gibby"? I did an internet search, and I wonder if you mean a Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps?
Do you think that's what he is? I'm still trying to identify his species (from internet pictures), since the seller didn't know.

Morning update:
Last night, after the water change, installation of an airstone, and adding a half dose of Jungle Parasite Clear, I decided on feeding him meat, instead of vegetable, since all he's had is algae wafers so far. I gave him frozen bloodworms, and he gobbled up a double portion! This morning, the tank is pretty well clean of uneaten bloodworms! And, it may be my imagination, but I think that pale patch is darker now.
He seems okay, anyway. At least, he's out and about under the light, as usual. Mostly he's hanging on the back glass, by the heater and airstone, and occasionally grazes on the glass. I don't know if he's sheltering by the heater (it's one of those black Stealth ones) for shade, or for warmth. In case he wants it warmer, I'm increasing it a couple of degrees, from its present 26 C. He does have a clay pot for shade, but he's not using it much.

I forgot to give his size: 2 3/8" (6 cm.).

Glad he's ok.
Hey, I thought the British didn't like the French.. And the other way round too, french don't like us. :lol:

Heyas. Sounds like you're getting everything under control. I'm sure your little guy will be fine in a day or so. :D

Thanks, nadajdui and Neal! :good:

Neal, is 26oC the recommended max. temp. for all pleco species? I don't know what species this one is.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back