Silent cycling...do I need an air pump?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Alright, Silent cycle is what I do with my tanks but I do run my filter and have an air pump going. Are you using anything for the plants like flourish?
No...I heard some people say I didn't need it but if I do need it then I'll go out and buy it. Do you think I would need to?

Fish provide much of what the plants need (waste and co2). I use flourish at 1/2 dose out of concern for my fish but I also want to make sure my plants get enough nourishment. I do not have heavily stocked tanks but have plenty of plants. Also if your plants get what they need through their roots you should use root tabs. So it is not necessary with floating or plants that absorb what they need from the water as long as you have plenty of fish but it does help the plants.

Fish provide much of what the plants need (waste and co2). I use flourish at 1/2 dose out of concern for my fish but I also want to make sure my plants get enough nourishment. I do not have heavily stocked tanks but have plenty of plants. Also if your plants get what they need through their roots you should use root tabs. So it is not necessary with floating or plants that absorb what they need from the water as long as you have plenty of fish but it does help the plants.
Can I just get flourish root tabs?

Root tabs will be good for plants that feed mostly from roots like amazon sword.

Some plants feed from the water column, some both.

Most of us use root tabs and a liquid fertilizer.

I agree. It really would help us to know the plants species and numbers...the easy way to answer this is with a photo of the entire tank. Or if you don't have plants yet, which are you intending to get?

I agree. It really would help us to know the plants species and numbers...the easy way to answer this is with a photo of the entire tank. Or if you don't have plants yet, which are you intending to get?
As of right now I have two amazon swords, one java fern, and one anubias. I just ordered two hornworts, two water sprites, two moneyworts, two brazilian pennyworts, two wisterias, and two ludwigia repens. They should be coming either tomorrow or the day after that.

As of right now I have two amazon swords, one java fern, and one anubias. I just ordered two hornworts, two water sprites, two moneyworts, two brazilian pennyworts, two wisterias, and two ludwigia repens. They should be coming either tomorrow or the day after that.

The sword p[lants will absolutely benefit from a good substrate tab fertilizer. The other plants mentioned will benefit from liquid fertilizer as they are not planted in the substrate (Anubias, Fern, any floating plants) or they take up more nutrients directly from the water. Stem plants develop roots as well as leaves from nodes along the stem.

Any fertilizer shoould be comprehensive, meaning that it includes all required nutrients and in specific proportions.

Most reactions

Back