Side of fish bursting periodically after swelling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SandyinVA

Reaction score
This is about to happen for the third time in the last three to four weeks to one of my fish. I forgot what kind, I have had him for two years, Silver elongated body with orange fins, black near the tail, about 3 inches long.

This fish developed swelling on one side, as if something was growing under his skin, you could see it bulging; it literally burst on that side, some grayish matter fell out to the bottom of the tank. The gap was almost 1/2 an inch in diameter. By the next day it was nearly healed over. I thought maybe it was a cancer. It is about to happen again same spot in the next day or two. I added melafix to the water. I have no idea what this is and no one at my fish shop is familiar with it.

The fish remains active, and eats well.

What is the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH?

Can you get a picture of the fish? That might help us out a little. :)

:hi: to the forum too!

Did you remove the grey matter and quarantine him? Sounds like it could be a parasite!

Add some salt to the tank if you have no scaless fish, do some salt baths on the affected fish, good luck.

cold or tropical? sounds like a goldfish to me.

I stupidly have not quarantined him, although no one else is having any difficulty. There have been no new fish this year. I think he might be a danio. I will swing by the shoppe and see if they still carry them. PH was a little low 6.5, no ammonia or nitrates, water tested hard, ok for cichlids, etc.

It has burst again since i last posted. I have a very small population right now consisting of 6 fish, all 3 to 4 years old. No one has had a problem in 1 1/2 years since my algae eaters died.

Get an anti internal bacteria med also .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back