Sick oscar

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

helptoall

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,I wanted to ask for help this oscar. about 10 days ago ive noticed a whitish patch starting to spread on the tips of his fins. a few days kater a signicant part of the eaten away and then ive quaranteen him and started treatment with kanaplex. He is not eating and the "eating" has reached his body in some places. The water parametres are 0,0,10 and he was in a 250 L tank with a pleco and a feather fish. Any ideas on what is this and how to treat it? thank you

48275725_2213364062041478_2472880317489217536_n.jpg

47688433_548695388943438_5440789206781657088_n.jpg

How often do you do water changes?
How much water are you changing?

There is some major fin rot going on here

I'm thinking fin rot too. If the fins get eaten away by ammonia too much, it spreads into the body. I haven't had any experience with kanaplex, so I won't say anything about it. I would say do water changes frequently, and see how he does.

No, Ive way past the "water changes" phase. He is getting worse rapidley and like ive mentioned there is no ammonia. im doing water changes of 25% every week in his main tank. now ive been doing water changes based on the meds instruction which was 2 50% change during the last 10 days.

It's a bacterial infection. To treat these types of infection you isolate the fish in a bare tank, which you have done, and add anti-biotics, also done.

Kanaplex contains Kanamycin, which is a type of anti-biotic. There are other anti-biotics too including Tetracycline, Doxycycline, Erythromycin, etc. Different anti-biotics work on different bacteria and without knowing which bacteria is causing the problem it is impossible to say which anti-biotic to use. It's basically add medication and hope it works.

The most effective way to use anti-biotics on fish is in a bare container. You add a full dose of medication and aerate the container. 24 hours later you wipe the inside of the container down with a clean fish sponge, change all the water and retreat the container with another full dose or medication.

You continue doing this for at least 1 week but no longer than 2 weeks. If there is no improvement after 48 hours then the medication is probably not going to work and you should try a different type.

If the fish is worth a lot of money or you are friends with a vet, you can get the fish checked by a vet and they can take a swab of the infected area and look at all the different nasties crawling around on it. They will probably give the fish an injection of anti-biotics and send you home with some more anti-biotics and a big bill.

If you can get the medication into the fish (via food) it usually works faster and more effectively. However, if the fish is not eating then that doesn't help.

-------------------------
Most bacterial and protozoan infections are caused by lack of tank maintenance (water changes, gravel cleaning and filter cleaning). Big predatory fishes like Oscars produce huge amounts of waste and regular gravel & filter cleaning is essential, as is doing big (75-90%) water changes at least once a week.

If he is getting bad really quickly you can try Iodine, you should be able to get it from a chemist (at least you can in the UK) Soak a paper towel or cloth you don't mind loosing and dab it around the areas with the infection.

Ive heared about people using H2O2 , what do you think about that? isnt iodine very ptoxic to fish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back