Sick/Injured Cory - Update

rdd1952

Swim with the Fishes
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I just noticed that one of my corys has a large (about 1/4") red spot on top of his back where his fin should be. He only has the very front barb of his fin and the rest is missing. I don't know whether he has been injured (don't know how he could have gotten hurt) or if it is a bacteria or disease. This is my first sick fish other than swim bladder/constipation. He is swimming around pretty much like nothing is wrong. I am setting up my hospital tank now using plants and a filter from my established tanks. I guess I'll need to let the heater run long enough to get the water temp right and maybe put him in there tomorrow morning. Any idea what it may be or what treatment to use? Water parameters are all fine: Ammonia, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 7.5, pH = 6.6.

I got up this morning and unfortunately, my cory is dead. This all happened so suddenly. He is now totally white from laying in the water and the other fish have picked at him too (eyes gone). Should I treat the tank with some antibiotic in case he did have a disease? I can't believe I lost a fish.

R.I.P poor little cory. Sorry to hear about that. What other fish do you have in your tank? If you don't have any that will pick on him, I think it will be best if you treat the tank. Well, really, unless they are showing any signs of illness, but check your cory closly to see if he had any disease that you wouldn't have seen on him when he was swimming around normally in the tank. If you see any parasites on him, then treat the tank.
Hope this helps! :D

I didn't see anything on him when I removed him this morning. As I said in last post, the other fish had been picking at his dead body as his tail was almost gone and his eyes were gone so if there were any disease it would be hard to detect. The tail was fine when the lights went out last night so that had to have happened after he died. All other fish look fine. I made sure I looked them over good when I fed them this morning. I'm almost wondering if I could have hit him with my vacuum when I did water change Thursday night. The only other possiblilty is that one of the serpaes bit him but is was a pretty large spot for that to have been the case.

I doubt it was one of your serpaes...unless they were really vicious. Yes, but maybe you could have caught him with your vacuum. I can't think of anything else that could have happened to him.
Well, the mystery remains..... B)
:D

Thanks for your help. I was already going to the LFS today to get a couple more otos. I guess I'll probably get another cory too. Aquariums/fish sure are addictive.

Most reactions

Back