šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Lonzo2020

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 Tetras, a couple catfish, a pea puffer, 2 loaches and a pleco. One of my tetras has started to swim back and forth while moving itā€™s tail rapidly in an almost vertical position. At first I thought it was bloat or swim bladder issue so I didnā€™t feed for a couple of days, did a clean and water change (about 25%) and added aquarium salts. Not much has changed in a few days so Iā€™m wondering if itā€™s something else and perhaps the poor guy canā€™t be saved. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If it sinks when it stops swimming, then it has a swim bladder problem and there is no cure for it.

Thanks. I havenā€™t seen it stop swimming in 3 days. It just keeps going back and forth in the tank. All the other fish seem fine.

If it is indeed a swim bladder issue...what is the best thing to do for it? How long can the fish survive with it or is euthanasia the kindest option for it?

When tetras that normally swim level have swim bladder problems, they try to swim constantly to stay with the other fish in the group. This eventually tires them out and they become weaker and weaker. Basically it's a bit like you running constantly non stop for days on end. Eventually you collapse and it goes down hill from there.

The fish looks like it has a swim bladder problem and I would personally euthanise it. Other people might keep it alive but the choice is yours.

When tetras that normally swim level have swim bladder problems, they try to swim constantly to stay with the other fish in the group. This eventually tires them out and they become weaker and weaker. Basically it's a bit like you running constantly non stop for days on end. Eventually you collapse and it goes down hill from there.

The fish looks like it has a swim bladder problem and I would personally euthanise it. Other people might keep it alive but the choice is yours.
Thanks Colin. What is the most humane way to euthanize a fish?

He'll probably stay stomp a book on it (it's fast and painless), if you can't stomach doing that you can get some clove oil and put the fish in a bowl with some tank water. Add a few drops of clove oil, until he falls asleep the put in a bunch more drops until he finally passes.

I actually kept mine alive for several months trying different remedies and even built it a little platform that it could rest on and still breathe (it was a gourami so it needed some access to the air) it actually wasn't that hard to keep the water level at the right height (I used my 5 gallon hospital tank) and I tried to force feed her peeled peas (partially cooked) but she wouldn't eat them, tried the salt solution - there is also one where you soak them in bowls of varying degrees of Epsom salts but that didn't work. Nor did regular aquarium salt (you're basically trying to get them unconstipated, assuming that's the cause). She would eat dried worms like tubiform but would usually regurgitate. I finally euthanized her after several months - not only was the level of care ridiculous but she looked so haggered and tired I just needed to let her go. I've lost at least 3 fish to this horrible disease (it's not contagious but may be dietary so I reduced the amount of worms I was feeding them - didn't help. ) Probably wouldn't happen if you could afford to feed all of them fresh fish all the time but I puke at the smell of fish from the grocery store - I'm in Kansas - that's as fresh as we get, fresh fish shouldn't smell.

An article in PFK (coould have been Amazonas) a couple of years ago looked at the various methods to euthanize a fish. The most humane and quickest I will describe. Net the fish out and place it on a couple of paper towels folded over. Fold the towels around the fish; its like wrapping something. Place the "package" oin a hard surface and give it a solid whack; I use my hand, some suggest piece of wood, or a book, doesn't matter. The fish is killed instantly; the wrap of paper twoels means you see nothing. There is nothing quicker or more humane aside from cutting the head off but I would find that much more distressing.

Thanks all. It looks as if itā€™s buoyancy is deteriorating so Iā€™ll have to make a call soon.

Most reactions

Back