Sick Female Better Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Her mouth does look much better! The growth on her fins is a little hard to tell, but if it's fin rot, it's very little.

JUST when I think everything is going good, I have to leave for the weekend (2 days), I come home to find out that my poor girl has dropsy...

I just don't get it. I have kept up with my water changes, kept the parameters at good levels, and the fish is constantly sick.

How does one cure dropsy? I know this disease is hard to treat...

I'm so sorry! How bad is the pineconing right now?

EDIT: I've never had a fish recover from dropsy, but other people might have. Posting in the Tropical Fish Emergencies might help.

I'm so sorry! How bad is the pineconing right now?

EDIT: I've never had a fish recover from dropsy, but other people might have. Posting in the Tropical Fish Emergencies might help.

It's not terrible, but it's getting worse every hour. These photos were taken about 10 minutes ago. She lost all of her colour, and stays at the bottom of the tank inside her little house. She can still swim, a bit vertically, and only does it to go up for air. Poor thing :(
IMG_5075.JPG
IMG_5076.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG

I don't know what to do, sorry. :( I've heard that once the pineconing is on both sides, the fish is too far to treat, but that may just be a myth.

I don't know what to do, sorry. :( I've heard that once the pineconing is on both sides, the fish is too far to treat, but that may just be a myth.

I've read similar things online: that once the scales begins protruding, nothing can really be done. I'm going to wait it out a bit longer and if things get worse, I'm going to look towards euthanizing her. I heard clover oil is the most humane and painless way to go about. On the up side, I know I did my best to save this little fish. Before she started getting sick again, she was one happy gal, swimming around in her 5.5, weaving in and out of plants :)

On the up side, I know I did my best to save this little fish. Before she started getting sick again, she was one happy gal, swimming around in her 5.5, weaving in and out of plants :)
That's true!

That's true!

Unfortuantely my girl died today :(
the pine coning developed super fast these past few days. I went out to buy clover oil, but by the time i got home she was already gone.

I did a 50%+ water change, vacuumed the gravel, returned the red cherries back into the 5.5 gallons, and bought a new better just now. Picked up a beautiful (young) half moon male :)

I'm sorry for your loss :( Like you said before, her days with you were much more comfortable than her original surroundings.
Got any pictures of him?

I'm sorry for your loss :( Like you said before, her days with you were much more comfortable than her original surroundings.
Got any pictures of him?

Sorry, I never get notifications for when someone posts a reply, so I only saw your message now.

I felt so terrible when I saw her floating around, but at the same time, I was relieved that I didn't have to euthanize her. I don't think I would be able to do that...

My new little guy is a bit camera shy, but I managed to get a few really good shots! Still trying to figure out a name for him. He's my first half-moon ever, and I think he's absolutely stunning (but I'm biased of course haha). He constantly swims around with all of his fins open (for now) which is something I really appreciate. But maybe he's only doing that because he's getting used to his new surroundings? After all, he does have the whole 5.5 gal to him self and the two cherry shrimps (which never bother him).

IMG_5164.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.01.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.00.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.00.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-13 at 4.01.04 PM.png

No worries about the wait. c:
Those are great shots, and he's beautiful!

Most reactions

Back