Sick Dwarf Gouramis

carolb414

Reaction score
:( I had six dwarf gouramis and two have just died. They look very healthy and then start sitting on the bottom of the tank and die the next day. Now I have another beautiful healthy looking gourami that is sitting on the bottom of the tank and I am afraid that it too will die. Does anyone know what kind of a disease it is that these fish have and what I can put in the tank? Thanks for any advice!

You should isolate the lethargic fish and treat for internal bacteruil infections (ie. dropsy) with a broad-spectrum antibiotic. Get a strong one if possible... It's unlikely that any sick fish will survive but keeping it in the tank with the others increases your chances of the others catching the same thing as it's usualy transmitted when a dead fish is nibbled on. If you can'tisolate, treat the whole tank but monitor water quality and perform water changes as necessary. Be vigilant in removing bodies to keep the spread under control. Dwarf gouramies are particularly susceptible to this kind of infection and exposing them to stress almost inevitably triggers this kind of problem. You didn't mention your tank size or water parameters but you should have a tank with 0 ammonia and nitrites and nitrates below 20ppm. A general guideline for tank size is to provide 10 gallons per male, 5 per female and keep them either in a single-sex group or at a ratio of 2 females per male.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back