Sick Corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

xxianaa

Reaction score
I have a problem with my albino corydoras, i started my tropical tank a couple of months ago, i have 125l tank with guppies, angels,neons red tailed shark . When i brought my corydoras they were all really active except for one who didnt swim about much but was feeding , he eventually stopped feeding and died. There were no external parasites/ white spot/fungus/injuries visible on him and his swim bladder didn't seem to be giving him any problems. I put his death down to just being weak and unable to stand being transported from breeder to the shop to me etc, that was until another one started to show the same kind of listless behavior last week and died a couple of days ago, my remaining three are now showing the same behavior and unless someone can help diagnose the problem i feel im going to lose them to. Non of my other fish are effected or showing odd behaviour. My tank was fully cycled before i put my fish in it, ive kept tropical fish before and im used to running tanks(ive got four others with axolotls and clawed frogs), my tank peramiters are ph 7.2. temp 26 c ammonium/nitrate/nitrite levels fine, im feeding tetra pro,tetra prime,cat fish pellet food, home grown baby brine shrimp(i rinse it properly to remove the salt) and the sharks not harrasing them either before anyone suggests that lol. I think whatever is wrong with them was a problem that they came with, ive searched the net but im at a loss, i would apreciate any help. Thanks.

Hi xxianaa and welcome to the forum. :hi:

It's possible that your corys have suffered damage to their gills during shipment or other time in their life. If they have a disease, the most common is bacterial infection of some sort or another.

Since you didn't state otherwise, I suspect that your corys are the most frequently found albino, C. aeneus. If this is so, the water temperature is on the high side for them. They would prefer it to be in the low 70s.

If they do have a bacterial infection, it's difficult to treat with water at a high temperature because harmful bacteria reproduce more quickly in it. I would suggest lowering the temperature and doing some good water changes and, if you have gravel, vacuuming it.

Thanks, the corys are c.aeneus, ive dropped the temp a couple of degrees but my house temp(even without any heating) on wont let it drop any further. I do 25% water change every week more if my test kit shows any problems and i clean my substrate , which is sand, every time i do a water change. Do you think it would be beneficial to put my cories in an isolation tank and dose them? If so what broad spectrum meds would be best? or would it be better to dose the tank bearing in mind i have cherry shrimp? thanks. ian.

Hi xxianaa :)

You could try light doses of Melafix which is a mild antibacterial medication. If so, shake the bottle thoroughly and mix it with tank water before pouring in the tank. If you can increase aeration, it would be a good way to ensure enough oxygen for them and make the tank inhospitable for the bacteria.

Another UK medicine is Waterlife Myxazin. Since I'm in the US, I haven't been able to use the product myself, but I've heard good things about it. King British also makes an antibacterial product.

Perhaps one of our UK members will suggest other remedies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back