Sick betta

Mmiller

Reaction score
Hi. I have a betta that is about 6 months old. She was born in my tank.
She has another young betta female, corys, cherry shrimp and snails as companions. They were all in a 20 gal but due to new setup issues (I had an algae outbreak), I put them back in the 10 gal while I started 20 gal from new. Put a piece of soaked and boiled piece driftwood in each tank. That day I saw her rub up against the clay pot three times. First Iā€™ve seen that.

ā€¢16 days ago : Everything was fine then 10 gal tank filter stopped working (been sort of an issue)

ā€¢13 days ago: filter working now but she stopped eating, staying at the surface gulping air occasionally and gills permanently flared out. Normal activity level. Water parameters on a 5-in-1 stick read ok except pH was now 6.0. I removed driftwood and did 50% water change that brought pH up to 6.5. Added air stone. I feed her pellets. Sheā€™s never liked dried worms or daphnia

ā€¢10 days ago: Put everyone except her into redone 20 gal. Her activity level still remains the same but not interested in food. Gills still flared and still taking air at surface. 25% water change, increased temp to 82, added 1/2 tsp Epsom salts.
Put her in a glass to get better look at her because I thought I saw something green inside her right gill. Saw scales pine coned slightly. When back in tank it was not as visible. Sheā€™s stalky anyhow, not really any bloat I can tell. If there is, it is slight.

ā€¢ 7 days ago : added fish keepers formula
Parameters still good on 5-in-1 strip.

5 days ago: 25% water change with fish... and Epsom salts
ā€¢ 4 days ago: added garlic xtreme to water and increased temp to 86. Added fish keeper formula, parameters still ok. gill flare has lessened. Still sips air at the surface but not as much. Activity still the same. Same degree of mild pineconing.

ā€¢ 3 days ago: Sheā€™s showing interest in the food and comes to the front and top and follows my hand like she used to. Acts frantic like she wants the food but spits the pellets out. Added some frozen blood worms (sheā€™s never had them before) but did not show interest. Added fish keeper formula. Gills barely flared anymore.

ā€¢ 1 day ago : added dose of Kanaplex
Seems to still be actively looking for food.

After that long diatribe, Iā€™m unsure what to do .. if anything else... today she seems to want food but wonā€™t keep it down. Her gills are better but scales appear about the same ( very very slight pine cone). She still does not appear to be bloated. If she is , it is slight and no worse. Activity still seems normal otherwise except for still slightly more mouthing at the surface and at times frantically swimming acting like she usually does when itā€™s time to eat. Added water to deal with evaporation. PH 6.4, GH 30, rest good. Iā€™ve been siphoning out uneaten food.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Do 75% daily water change, make sure to clean filter and do you have any fungus med?

Thank you for your reply. I bought a kit, that was the only way to get the Kanaplex. In it is also seachem Metroplex, and seachem Focus. The only other thing I have is Fishkeeper Freshwater Formula. What do you suggest use? Should I keep the temp high and maintain the Epsom salt solution % with the water changes? Kanaplex is added every two days, a water change daily would alter that concentration as well. Suggestions? Thanks.

when you say clean the filter , do you mean rinse or completely change filter media? I have a hang on the back penguin 75 filter that I removed the carbon from.

Don't change the media, just rinse it in old water during a water change. You need to remove the debris stuck to the media.

Don't bother putting the carbon cartridges back, use sponge instead.

thanks. That was my plan.
changes everyday effect the Kanaplex too, or any other meds for that matter. Should I add it daily as well? The prev response I received asked about fungus meds. Do you agree and if so which one should I use?

Is it ok to heat the water on the stove before adding to the tank so the aquarium heater doesnā€™t have to work so hard and tank temp fluctuate so much? I have her tank at 86. My replacement water is at 69. If I replace 75% daily, thatā€™s a lot of temp fluctuations is it not?

Why is the tank at 86 deg? It only needs to be that high for treating ich (whitespot) and then only for 2 weeks. Around 78 to 80 deg is suitable for bettas.

But yes, you can warm it on the stove. Or boil some water and mix it with the cooler water before adding it to the tank.

Because three different sources told me to increase the temperature if dropsy was a possibility. What is your opinion on the Kanaplex and fungus meds? Does it sound like she would have a fungus?. And how do I keep the concentration up if it is only given every two days yet I am changing the water daily? Thank you so much for your help

41ABE855-DFB9-4D19-820E-B0D0AA29294B.jpeg
ED46071D-E722-4D26-B2C5-C0646C4B8750.jpeg
544E1A9D-3055-4AF1-B156-F628D35C6366.jpeg

I lowered the temperature to 80 and last night she ate three pellets but this morning the pineconing is now more apparent

it doesn't have fungus.
it does have dropsy (an internal infection).

Thank you all for you wonderful help.
I guess the only thing im still confused on is increasing the water temp. Vet techs and others say increase and essjay and a few others say no.
Iā€™m told increasing the temp kills the aeromonas bacteria often present with dropsy.

Most reactions

Back