Sick Betta?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Cocoa19

Reaction score
hey guys! so I got a 9L Betta tank for a Veil Tail called Artemis and suddenly it's N02 went from 0 to 2.0 over night for no reason causing him to get fin rot which I straight away got a new 8L tank and put him in and has been fine ever since then I tried again with my new Half-moon Atlantis then 2 days later same thing happened N02 was suddenly 2.0 and he got sick so did the same thing that I did with Artemis and he was doing ok, has no fin rot but it's been 4 days and he still rushes to the top occasionally for air then goes down under the heater or plant and goes between looking like he's not breathing to breathing fast, this is different to Artemis he was gasping for air when Atlantis isn't but he does look very strange in his face, he was orange and now it's a red colour I started to wonder ammonia but that's at 0ppm N02 is at 0.25 tho would this do it to him? ph is 7.0 and n03 is 10ppm, I've added photos from the day I got him to him now, my other 2 Bettas are perfect as I have 3 it's only this boy

Attachments

• 20170810_140037.jpg
    20170810_140037.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • 1502965459207544916806.jpg
    1502965459207544916806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 154
You need to keep changing the water until you get those levels down.

I have to say, 8 or 9l tanks aren't suitable for any fish, IMO, not even bettas. Apart from the fact that they're really too small for fish to live in happily, as you've seen, the water conditions fluctuate, and any pollution builds up so quickly, that they're very difficult to keep stable.

Are your tanks filtered? Are they cycled?

They are cycled but I'm moving my 2 Bettas in small tanks into 21L as Eclipse does so well, I have been doing daily water changes to try get the levels down. but does Atlantis have hope of surviving? I added some salt too as that helped Artemis and also added a pea, the salt does seem to have helped but he wouldn't eat the pea or any other food at this stage

They are cycled but I'm moving my 2 Bettas in small tanks into 21L as Eclipse does so well, I have been doing daily water changes to try get the levels down. but does Atlantis have hope of surviving? I added some salt too as that helped Artemis and also added a pea, the salt does seem to have helped but he wouldn't eat the pea or any other food at this stage
If your betta needs a laxative use some mysis. You can find some freeze dried ones at your local LFS. Just make sure you soak them in tank water first to rehydrate them.

Your betta's should each have their own 5 gallon tanks. OR they can share a standard 10 gal. + as long as they have a tank divider between them.

as of today me Bettas are all in 21L tanks and are doing better, I haven't been able to move Atlantis (sick Betta) as of yet he seems to be doing ok but only just got his new tank set up about an hour ago as I had 5 to set up first as his water conditions are perfect and the others had 0.25 N02 hoping to move him 1st thing tomorrow morning and see if he improves! he does seem to be doing better,moving around a bit more then before but 1 side of his face is rather red still, im now wondering if that's from the heater as he's always got that side of his face against the heater?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back