shrimp shrimp shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I was at London Zoo couple of weeks ago and they have a huge half moon (front bow) tank full of red cherry and amano shrimp, heavily planted on the flat wall side of the tank. Thinking about it now, i did not see any shrimplets, but the zoo was closing so didnt have much time to look longer. I did notice however that many of the amanos were berried
I can't imagine baby anything surviving around Amanos...they're super greedy!

In case anyone was wondering...
I received my TDS meter yesterday from Amazon (great little piece of equipment and so easy to use).

My reading was 187. So that was not an issue.

The guy at Aquatic Arts thinks that my weekly 50% water changes are too much.
And stressing out the shrimp.
And thinks I should only 30% every other week.

That sounds scary as heck to me but he insists my bioload isn't large enough to warrant the large weekly water changes I do.
**All of my tank info is in post #1**

I am going to hold off on my water change this week and keep a close eye on parameters to make sure nothing is rising and if it does I will then water change.

Haven't lost one in 4 days and the endlers seem to have forgotten about them being there and have gone about business as usual. I haven't seen any nipping or chasing...
but like I mentioned my Amano and blue dream are full grown and were never pestered and the two remaining juveniles are dark in color and very hard to spot.

We shall see

Hmm, I change the water in my 5 gal shrimp tank at the same time when I do my other main tanks.

About 50% once weekly is the usual routine for all tanks.

All 4 amanos and cherries all appear to none the worse for these water changes as far as I can tell. Unsure if actually had cherry losses in the past due to the water changes as doubt their bodies would be around for long with 4 greedy amanos and a bunch of snails :lol:

While it’s true shrimps don’t gave a large bio load, I think a weekly water change should be done to replenish minerals and fresh water. Even at 25% once weekly would still be ok imho but at every two weeks long term is pushing it but not unheard of.

Hmm, I change the water in my 5 gal shrimp tank at the same time when I do my other main tanks.

About 50% once weekly is the usual routine for all tanks.

All 4 amanos and cherries all appear to none the worse for these water changes as far as I can tell. Unsure if actually had cherry losses in the past due to the water changes as doubt their bodies would be around for long with 4 greedy amanos and a bunch of snails :lol:

While it’s true shrimps don’t gave a large bio load, I think a weekly water change should be done to replenish minerals and fresh water. Even at 25% once weekly would still be ok imho but at every two weeks long term is pushing it but not unheard of.

Oh crap...that's what I thought.
There is no way that I'm going to get thru tomorrow (water change day) without doing at least 20% because I'm a neurotic mess that will fully convince myself that there will be an apocalyptic event in my tank if I don't w/c on the 7th day of each week.

So....I'll most likely do 20% and then test the water like a lunatic for the rest of the week.

I do 50% weekly water changes my RCS breed faster than pest snails.

The guy at Aquatic Arts thinks that my weekly 50% water changes are too much.

I know people who never change water on shrimp tanks, they only top up to compensate for evaporation.

I know people who never change water on shrimp tanks, they only top up to compensate for evaporation.
you do?
But I have a few endlers also, it's not only shrimp.
Maybe 25% weekly instead of a massive one that might be too much?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back