Shrimp Salad!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Feri

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I got my tropical planted fish tank set up three weeks ago.
I started with 6 Cardinal Tetras and 2 Amano Shrimps. They all lived together happily, until last week Saturday when I decided to get more fish, so I got 2 Flying Fox, 2 more Amano Shrimp and 6 Rasbora. I put them in the tank and they all looked like a happy family living together :)

However when I got home on Monday I was shocked that one Rasbora and two Tetras where dead, at first I thought maybe some sort of disease killed them but then noticed that one of the alive Rasboras lost his tail, that was the moment I realised that the Shrimp might have attacked my fish. I also noticed that two of the alive tetras had their fins bitten off.
Today again another Tetra was dead. So I quickly took all 4 Shrimps out of the tank, I put the pictures here, can someone please tell me why these Shrimps are attacking my fish are they actually Amano shrimps or some sort of weird creatures.
I'm going to make Shrimp salad out of them if it is proven that they killed my fish ;)

Thanks
45.jpg
888.jpg
7777.jpg
9999.jpg
33434.jpg
565656.jpg

First of all, don't make shrimp salad with your shrimp.....Second of all, how big is your tank? And lastly, if your tank is not big enough than the 2 schools will stress each other out too much. (I think it could be the shrimp, but I've no experience with those shrimp, but I think it could be since the amanos grow pretty big) Also, is the tank cycled?

Can we see a photo of these so called Flying Foxes? My money is on them

How big are the shrimp?
I'm guessing less than 1 inch long.

Small shrimp are unlikely to kill fish, especially if they are fed.
Make sure you feed the shrimp several times a day and see if it continues. If you still lose fish then it is either a disease or someone else in the tank.

Can you post some pictures of the fish?

My money is on the new fish bringing in a disease?

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH.

Im wondering if the Flying Foxes are actually Chinese Algae Eater ( Gyrinocheilos aymonieri )

Hi all

The fish tank is small it's 20L
The largest shrimp is 1 inch.
Yes I think its cycled I check the water quality every other day since the tank is new and not all the plants are fully grown, I also change the water every 5 days, 25% of it.
The flying foxes are Siamese Algae eater.

If I didn't have injured fish I would also say the cause of death is disease but...

Here is a picture of the tank as of this morning
Adobe_20180822_073815.jpg

They are Siamese flying foxes and should be fine.

The harlequin rasbora at the top left of the picture appears to have a bit of cream/ white edge to the fins and tail. Is that the picture or does the fish have that?
The fins also look a little clamped (not standing up as much as the other fish's fins) :)

The fish tank is small it's 20L

Ok heres the problem, Your tank is too small for those fish.

They are fine I think it's the picture, there is one of them which its tail is cut off by the Shrimp, not visible in the photo.

Yeah I know the tank is small, but now that the Shrimps are out of it, it should be fine I guess

Yeah I know the tank is small, but now that the Shrimps are out of it, it should be fine I guess
No I do not think the shrimp are the problem in fact they are the only thing suited to that tank.

but then noticed that one of the alive Rasboras lost his tail
The Tetras did it maybe even one of the other Rasboras, but my money is on the Tetras.

Your tank is way overstocked and the fish are crowded and that causes fights over territory

Wait and see what happens. If it continues then it wasn't the shrimp and could be one of the other fish :)

No I do not think the shrimp are the problem in fact they are the only thing suited to that tank.

The Tetras did it maybe even one of the other Rasboras, but my money is on the Tetras.

Your tank is way overstocked and the fish are crowded and that causes fights over territory

That was the last thing I expected to hear :D I never heard Tetras to be aggressive :( but why would they kill from their own species, same goes for Rasboras.

Wait and see what happens. If it continues then it wasn't the shrimp and could be one of the other fish :)

Yea I will see how it goes.

Thanks guys

Some tetras are fin nippers (eg: serpae, black widow, blind cave, Buenos aeries). Other tetras stress when kept in small numbers and can act unpredictably. Cardinal tetras are not renown for fin nipping but it has happened before. Any stress can cause it including adding or removing fish or objects in the tank, not having enough of each species, not enough hiding places, even incorrect or poor water quality.

However, wait a few days and see how things go now the shrimp have been removed.

@Feri Could you clarify something, please.

Is this a 20 litre tank or a long 20 gallon tank? I think Nick is assuming it is 20 litres (5 gallons) which is why he says it is overstocked, but the tank in your photo doesn't look that small.

@Feri Could you clarify something, please.

Is this a 20 litre tank or a long 20 gallon tank? I think Nick is assuming it is 20 litres (5 gallons) which is why he says it is overstocked, but the tank in your photo doesn't look that small.

It's a 20 Litre tank :)

Most reactions

Back