Should I take the plunge...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Curiosity101

Is now at University! :D
Reaction score
Most of you wont know me, but I used to be a regular on the forums. I sold up all my tanks a number of years ago but am now considering getting back into things.

I've always fancied breeding / keeping something a little bit unusual... but as I don't currently have a tank it'd be a long time before I matured a tank to the point I'd be willing to put anything expensive in it (eg. a group of L046s).

So.... knowing that I used to spend roughly 10hours a week in my tanks before.... should I take the plunge and get back into it? ;)

Also... if you were to suggest something a little bit unusual to either keep and/or breed what would you suggest for me?

I particularly like any of the following:
  • Boraras brigittae
  • Galaxy rasbora
  • Sterbai corydoras (I've already bred these but have such a soft spot for them)
  • Zebra plecos (L046)
  • Rare pretty freshwater shrimp
I definitely would want something a bit less usual, don't mind if it comes with a bit of a price tag cause I could always save up. I'd certainly have to save up for the L046s!

You know... Discus and Angelfish have never really done it for me... I'm not sure why, cause they can be incredibly beautiful fish. But I don't know, they just don't have the draw... Actually... I do know what it might be. They need deep tanks and I'm short. As soon as I get taller tanks on stands I have to use a step stool :(

It's more of a personal preference than anything else. I'd prefer to have discus or angelfish in a 24 - 30" tall tank, I just like the relative viewing size compared to the size of the fish.

I used to struggle to reach the bottom of my Fluval Roma 125 (28"), and spent a lot of time with my arms in the tank moving plants around / doing plant maintenance, so I stuck to longer shorter tanks after than.

Hi :) welcome back!

You should definitely get back into it! What is your water like where you are now?

Given whats on your list, if your water checks out you could do a micro community tank in something like a Roma 125. With the micro rasboras that you mentioned, maybe some kind of small loach like Rosy Loaches and even some sort of Badis would be good - there are some really nice species that are findable in shops now. I had a Pyjama Badis which is an awesome little fish a while ago.

Im sure someone on here a few years ago had a tank like this and they had some Thai Micro Crabs in there as well, which are really just like little bugs but very cool looking. A number of the fancy shrimp species would probably work with these as well.

Hope you stick around :)
Wills

Wills... there's a name I recognise :)

I'm not too sure about my water here, I'm in Nottingham now. I know from taste that it's quite soft (although not as soft as Sheffield). I'd assume nitrates and ph is sensible but I'd have to check. I no longer have any water testing kits though (or anything fishy for that matter). But I'd buy a new set for my fish in cycle... hehe... not really, I'll always be fishless :D

Are there any particular fish you can think of that might be of interest to me and that also command a good price? I'm not in it for money (I'm certainly not going to be actively breeding anything) but feel like I've probably got enough experience to be keeping things that are a little pricier and I'm no longer a student so have the budget to do it... Plus if I do my job right they'll breed anyway so I'd rather be breeding something good.

Sterbai seem to be commanding a good price and are currently my absolute favourite of all corys. Open to suggestions on alternative bottom dwellers but I don't want to overfill the bottom of the tank (and I have always head my heart set on owning a few L046's). I could potentially look at some sort of cory (or loaches), and a pair of some sort of south american cichlid (although the Pyjama Badis do look rather cute).

I'm definitely 'stuck' on mid and top level fish though... I've always like galaxy rasbora and Boraras brigittae but I'm probably realistically looking at getting a 4ft tank which I think they might look lost in...

A few years ago when I used to keep fish, my long suffering boyfriend (now husband), used to support me in endless trips to fish shops and swapping tanks etc. His only request if I get back into fish is that 'We have an impressive looking tank'. So I need to think big... but I'm so used to having 40, 60 and 120l type tanks.

Also shrimp wise, what's popular at the moment? I've always been a fan of high grade crystal shrimp... but not sure what the current trends / favourites are.

I'm definitely 'stuck' on mid and top level fish though... I've always like galaxy rasbora and Boraras brigittae but I'm probably realistically looking at getting a 4ft tank which I think they might look lost in...

A few years ago when I used to keep fish, my long suffering boyfriend (now husband), used to support me in endless trips to fish shops and swapping tanks etc. His only request if I get back into fish is that 'We have an impressive looking tank'. So I need to think big... but I'm so used to having 40, 60 and 120l type tanks.

On the other hand, a really large shoal of smaller fish can look very impressive in a large, well planted tank, and it's something you see less often...

You can probably get a headstart on working out what your water is like on your local water companies website. It would be worth checking out - especially if you are looking at big ticket fish like Zebra Plecs.

For me personally, I've never got it with Zebras... from what I have seen and heard, they so rarely come out of hiding and they take up a big strain on the bio load. Plus now, they are not that rare, my local Maidenhead Aquatics has always got them in - still £120 a pop though (which makes no sense...)

Now you are in Nottinghamshire you should go check out Wharf Aquatics in Pinxton if youve never been, its one of my favourite shops :) And even if you come away empty handed (you wont...) its an interesting place to go especially if you need some inspiration ;)

If your water is soft you can sort of take your pick with cichlids - I really like Checkerboard cichlids in a big group I bet they would look great if you like them. Or Dwarf Pikes are pretty cool as well C.Compreciceps doesnt get too big and is maintainable with the right tank mates.

Wills

Turns out I was wrong about the water (just checked online)...

Hardness
Nottingham: Moderately hard - 11.98 Degrees Clarke
Sheffield: Soft - 1.26 Degrees Clarke

Nitrate
Nottingham: 13-17 mg/l
Sheffield: 1-2mg/l

pH
Nottingham: 7.25
Sheffield: 8.1

I'm quite surprised there is such a difference, you definitely can't taste that much of a difference. But it'll definitely inform my fish choices. Shrimp will be happier in Notts, I should probably give L046's a miss though.

Good point by fluttermoth about the large shoal. Thinking about it I've seen some impressive rummynose shoals in 6fters and there's nothing like seeing 20+ fish move in unison.

Last edited:
I used to be a huge fan of Wharf Aquatics too, I got a beautiful pair of nanochromis transvestitus from there.

Might be worth a trip this weekend to just have a look. I definitely can't justify a tank until we've finished renovating the new house.

Ah so there you go :) its a different situation now.

How do you feel about a central american tank? Or I think some rainbow fish could work. I've always wanted to do a Madigascan cichlid tank with things like Pinstripe Damba - would need a big tank though.

I've just changed over from a south american tank to centrals with Cryptoheros Nanoluteus as the main fish, still planning what else to keep - Ive got some Mexican Mollies as well at the moment and I want to add some Montazuma Swordtails. But if you got a big enough tank you could look at the other Cryptoheros and Amatitlania species or Criboheros and Thoricthys are nice and there are some good species around at the moment.

Just a few ideas :)
Wills

Just to add for those not familiar with degrees Clark -

The hardness in Curiostity's new home is 11.98 degrees Clark. This converts to 9.5 dH and 170 ppm

Thanks Wills, I'll start looking into your Cichlid selection now. The only thing I'm mindful of is I don't want to overfill the bottom layer. However, I am looking into getting a custom tank possibly as I want something relatively shallow but wide, there don't seem to be a huge number that are the kind of dimensions I'm looking for.

Possibly 48" x 24" x 24" or 48" x 24" x 18" (L x W x H). We might even go for a 6ft (My husband is surprisingly keen on the idea of me getting back into fish. I think he actually quite liked looking at my tanks... just didn't like trekking all over the country to find 'the right piece of wood' or 'the right fish' :D )

And thanks Essjay for the conversion, I wasn't sure which measurement people would be most familiar with so guessed.

I dunno....it sounds like you're a recovering fishaholic and off the wagon you could easily fall prey to multiple tank syndrome again!
LOL
What the heck - it's a great hobby!

Most reactions

trending

Back