Should I Get Cherries?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hakisuma_chan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a ten gallon with five mollies and one betta, a few ghost shrimp and two african dwarf frogs. The tank is planted with the back lined with hornwort, an anubias plant in the left corner, and a drawrf mambo/congo/something plant in the center. The ghost shrimp aren't bothered by the rest of the fish or frongs. They keep to themselves in the hornwort forest and I've even seen two females carrying eggs. I guess my question is: Since the ghost shrimp are good off, would cherries be safe to get? I heard they're smaller...

I've also heard Cherries are easier to breed than ghosts. True? I've tried raising baby ghost shrimp, feeding them crushed flake food (that batch lasted about a month) and the second attempt with baby brine shrimp (lasted like two weeks) and I kinda just gave up and left the pregnant ghost shrimps in my 10 gallon because I've heard that sone people have found tiny shrimps appearing after a while from their plants.

Thanks in advance! :lol:

I'd say you've already got too much in your tank..

What kind of mollies are they? I hope they're balloon mollies.

I couldn't imagine 5 3'' mollies in a 10g tank

I wouldn't endorse any mollies in a 10g. I would suggest that you rehouse them.

Cherries are definitely easier to raise than ghost shrimp, since they hatch into mini-shrimps rather than going through larval stages.

I guess my question is: Since the ghost shrimp are good off, would cherries be safe to get? I heard they're smaller...

I've also heard Cherries are easier to breed than ghosts.

Regardless of stocking, cherries might struggle with those fish. The mollies and betta are big enough to mangle a shrimp and there's a fair chance they try it. That babies would have no chance and would be eagerly hunted by the others, maybe even by the ghost shrimp.

In a tank on their own, the cherries are very easy to breed. Almost any fish, bar some suckermouth types, will go after tiny shrimp. A basic guide is that if they would eat daphnia, they'll eat baby shrimp.

What fish should I get then? Would guppies work if I took out the betta? Suggestions for fish for 10 gallons? And I thought that ghost shrimps hatch into tiny ghost shrimps? That's what they look like...they hang upside down for a few days in the water, but they look like their parents, just tinier. :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back