Should I Clean My Filter Now?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 46 gallon super tall tank, 20 inch wide 18 inch depth 30 inch tall, with 3 guppies and 4 dwarf neon rainbows in it. The rainbows are juvies (about half an inch so Im assuming juvy)

Very heavily planted and lots of sand rocks driftwood etc.

The tubing from the canister filter to the tank is very dirty and I am wondering if I should take the filter out and clean the sponges, replace the sponges, etc. I have never cleaned a canister filter before, and this tank is only about a month old, so is the filter. Well actually the filter I got used, but it has only been running for ME for a month or so. I have some sponges, ceramic media, and bio zorb or whatever from API.

The filter is a RENA Filstar Pro XP3. Here are some pics of the crap thats on the tubing. 

http://imgur.com/a/kWp48

Yes you can clean it, Give the sponges a rinse and so on, I always do it using water from the tank not the tap.

replace the sponges, etc
Not for several years,  Sponges only need replacing when they are falling apart.

The tubing from the canister filter to the tank is very dirty
Get one of these for that.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Aquarium-Tube-Cleaning-Brush-Flexible-Double-Ended-for-Glass-Pipes-Hose-LG/301958053207?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140106155344%26meid%3Df7519ced22634a73b72a4d419c10cce2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121997595392

The tubes don't look too bad tbh is there a decrease in flow? if so go ahead and clean them and it should help but don't go mad with cleaning the sponges as others have said especially since the tank is young.

Thanks nick.

No there is not a decreased flow. Do I need to clean the tubes? Or is it just something recommended?

unless the flow has dropped I wouldn't clean them. I only clean mine when my flow drops to a trickle - so that's roughly twice a year. 

Hi just looking at this post and wondering how you clean the pipes to the filter is there any special brushes avalible to do this job.

Hi Rainbow. There are special cleaner things you can buy but I made my own. I had a small cleaner brush that fit in my pipes snugly that had a hook on the end. I got a old plant weight and some cord (I used blind cord) and measured and cut it about 12" longer than my pipes. I tied one end to the plant weight and the other to the brush.
When I clean my pipes I have a jug of hot water ready and a bucket on the floor. I also have a funnel that fits snugly into the end of the pipe. I drop the weight into the funnel and coil the cord in the neck. I then make sure the end of the pipe is in the bucket and I pour the hot water into the funnel. The water pushes the weight through. Once I can grasp the end of the weight I pull the cord through and the brush with it. I repeat this process twice at least. My pipes are opaque so I can see by holding them up to the light if they are clean.

Hope that helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Back