Shell Dwelling Cichlids

KribFreak

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What size tank would you recommend for a larger group of different breeds of shell dweller cichlids? What do you feed them? What are some breeds that are easy to take care of and are easy to breed? What would be a group of different breeds that can get along like a group of regular cichlids. Are they mouth brooders? Any info is very much appreciated. And are they New World or African Cichlids?

I don't know much about them, but I do know they are African. ...and I am pretty sure they are egg layers, but don't quote me on that.

I don't know much about these guys either sorry, but try posting this in the african cichlids section, you might have some better luck getting info there. Goodluck :)

KribFreak said:
could I put about 15- 20 in a ten gallon tank.
lol, I very much doubt it. They are small but still need space. I am not sure of specifics but I know that they are quite aggressive. They are cichlids after all ;)

Maybe if no-one knows you could google it and see what comes up?

First of all there are many kinds of shellies. Some get along better than others.

It would probably be easier to just have one kind of them, some live in colonies and arent as territorial. If you keep several kinds in to small a tank the more agressive kind might take over.

Plus they will be competing for the same territory (the shells).

This sitee has some short facts on most tanganyikan fish:

http://www.riftlakes.com/

Just select english at the top of the page. Then tanganyikan

Info on multifasciatus:

Trade names and synonyms
Neolamprologus multifasciatus.

Size
This is one of the smallest cichlid in the world. The male could reach a maximum size of 4.5 cm (1.8 in.) and females 3 cm (1.2 in.).

Food
Shrimpmix, spirulinaflakes and brine shrimps.

Aquarium
This cichlid could be kept in small aquariums, I would recommend a size from 50 litres and above. This is enough for a small group of fishes assumed that you have enough of empty snail shells in the aquarium, at least one shell for each female.
Arrange the aquarium with fine sand and lots of Neothauma-shells or any equivalent shells.

Habitat
<Lamprologus> multifasciatus is found at sandy floors covered by empty shell from the Neothauma tanganyicense snail. Like N. brichardi it is living in groups and the main feed are plankton. Each individual has got it's own shell.

Breeding
This cichlid is very easy to spawn, the spawning take place in empty shells.
If they get on well they could get between 5 and 20 fry's every third week.
The male usually spawns with several females, therefore he will have a large territory which he guards with success even towards much larger species.

General
<Lamprologus> multifasciatus is my favourite cichlid in all categories. The interesting behaviour, the size and simplicity to get it to spawn makes this cichlid to something special.
A perfect cichlid for those who ain't have the room for a big aquarium but still wants cichlids with interesting behaviour.
They are great diggers and they push the shells around the tank.
Could be kept in separate aquarium which only contains this species but they also fits well in a community with other tanganyika cichlids.

could I put a male and a female Neolamprologus brevis in a ten gallon aquarium? And can I just use escargot shells instead?

escargot shells are fine, i have my multies using them at the moment. make sure you have 2 or 3 shells per fish. :thumbs:
i have a colony of 8 multies in a 30 gallon tank, with 25 or so shells, and what was a nice flat 2" sand bottom (it now looks like the surface of the moon!!!). and today i spotted tiny fry hovering above the sand!!! :cool: :wub:

I've been told that if you want to keep two species out of shellies or julies together int he same tank, you really need 2.5ft tank minimum, 3ft is better. That's 20g long or larger. 20g tall won't do.

Personally, I am planning to setup a species tank for one of the shellies in a 15g long (2ft tank), and another in 20g long (2.5ft) tank. I will only make the attempt to mix some species in my next community tank which will have 48x18 foot print.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back