Share Your Point Of View On Australian Arowana

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Suicidal_AZN

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
please share your exprience of what you know about australian arowana.
have you owned one?
have pics of your australian arowana?
whats the difference between the two australian arowana?

please share your exprience of what you know about australian arowana.
have you owned one?
have pics of your australian arowana?
whats the difference between the two australian arowana?

i havent owned a Australian arowana so i dont have pics but i have info for you,

there two australlian arowanas;

The first species is known by the names Jardini, Australian Gold or Pearl Arowana(Scleropages jardini). The second species is often called the Australian Spotted Arowana (Scleropages leichardti).

If you have seen one you are 99% more likely to have seen Scleropages jardini as it is alot more common in the trade, These beast's are very aggressive and have the potentional to wipe out a whole tank, althought when small around 6-10" they can be ok with other fish but when they hit 12" they will start getting rowdy. If you get one get it in a specie tank with just itself or with maybe a plec of some sort. and the other type of australlian arowana Scleropages leichardti is exactly the same.

DA

I have a jardini arowana which is around 20 inches long and appears to be full grown as it has been that size for a few years now.

It is a highly aggressive animal that tollerates very few other fish in its tank, the fish i do keep with it are reclusive bottom dwellers (fire eel, hemibagus puncatus and a ornate bichir) which spend much of the daylight hours in plastic tubes, over the years i have tried many tankmates and most have been unsuccessfull, Oscars, large catfish and large oddballs have all had to be removed after having their fins and scales shredded from unprovoked attacks out of the blue.

There are pleanty of pictures of my jardini on the forum which should be found quite easily using the search function.

They aren't actually Arrowana although they are in the same family. They are Saratogas and are closely related to the Asian Saratogas. The Arrowanas come from South America and have a single fused dorsal, anal and caudal fin. The Saratogas have separate fins.
The two Australian species (S. jardinii & S. leichardti) just come from different parts of the country. Ones from south east Queensland and the other from the Northern Territory and western Queensland.
They both grow to 2-3ft. 2ft being more common. They are solitary ambush hunters that lurk under water lily leaves and wait for fish, frogs or small birds to come past. They will eat insects & crustaceans too.
They produces batches of eggs that the female carries in her mouth for a week and then she looks after the young for a couple more weeks.
They jump really well and unless the tank is covered they end up dry and crispy on the floor.
They are rather aggressive towards other fish but on occasions they will accept tank mates, particularly if introduced when the Saratoga is young and they grow up together.

CFC! u should know they are saratoga's, come on!

Actually saratoga is just a Australian regional name, the rest of the world call them arrowanas.

we call them Saratoga because they look different to the arrowana. The Asians call them Saratoga as well. Gold Saratoga, Red Saratoga, worth lots of money in Asia. Look at the fins, they are different on the Arrowana vs the Saratoga.

Same Family, different Genus and species. The South American Arrowana are in the Osteoglossum Genus, whereas the Australian and Asian Saratogas are in the Scleropages genus.

It doesn't really matter as "jardini arowana" or "jardini saratoga" are just the common names so we can call them whatever we like, regardless of genus or any of that.

All look like arowanas to me :rolleyes:

we call them Saratoga because they look different to the arrowana. The Asians call them Saratoga as well. Gold Saratoga, Red Saratoga, worth lots of money in Asia. Look at the fins, they are different on the Arrowana vs the Saratoga.

Same Family, different Genus and species. The South American Arrowana are in the Osteoglossum Genus, whereas the Australian and Asian Saratogas are in the Scleropages genus.

But they are all in the Osteoglossidae family, Aussies just call the saratoga for same reason as they call sleaper gobies gudgeons and thats because they just love to make up strange sounding names for animals :p

The Asian name for arowana translates in English to "dragon fish".

The saratoga, Scleropages leichardti, also known as the spotted bonytongue, spotted saratoga, or southern saratoga, is a freshwater bony fish native to Australia. It belongs to the subfamily Osteoglossinae, or arowanas, a primitive group of teleosts. Like all arowanas, it is a carnivorous mouthbrooder.

is there a differnce between the jardinis whisker thing?
mines whisker thing is larger and thicker then most i've seen. and it never bumped into the tank walls befor?
there both spread pretty wide from eachother.

On a small article about them on another forum I read that although they are called arowanas by most they are just called saratogas in their native australia.

we call them Saratoga because they look different to the arrowana... Look at the fins, they are different on the Arrowana vs the Saratoga.

They are largely similar to asian arowanas, but on closer inspection the scales of an australian arowana are smaller than that of an asian aro.

I don't really se that much difference in the fins.

I think they should be called arowanas, they may look ever so slightly different, but is it that much to give them a different name? It's just another crazy common name that aussies like to invent :D .

On a small article about them on another forum I read that although they are called arowanas by most they are just called saratogas in their native australia.
They are largely similar to asian arowanas, but on closer inspection the scales of an australian arowana are smaller than that of an asian aro.
I don't really se that much difference in the fins.
I think they should be called arowanas, they may look ever so slightly different, but is it that much to give them a different name? It's just another crazy common name that aussies like to invent :D .
how can you say their fins look similar? That's like saying angelish and guppies have fins that look the same. They are completely different. Check out the links, there is an Arrowana and a Saratoga. Note the Saratoga has distinctly seperate dorsal, anal & caudal fins. The Arrowana's fins join up and look like a single fin.

http://death.picturepush.com/album/17480/6...toga-baby2.html

http://death.picturepush.com/album/17480/6...x/arrowana.html

They also have different mouths. The Arrowana mouth tapers more upwards, the Saratogas mouth is not on as steep an angle and opens out more in front of the fish, vs at the top of the fish for the Arrowana.

Would you call discus and angels the same fish? They are in the same Family, different Genus and different species. Why call Australian Saratogas the same name as the South American Arrowanas when they too are in the same Family but come from a different Genus and have different species names.
The same thing can be said about neon & cardinal tetras. Same Family, Same Genus but different species. They have different common names.

well thats what their most common name is. if someone was changing the latin name then i think there is an arguement when its a common no1 really has any right to argue because everyone has a different name.

:S

how can you say their fins look similar? That's like saying angelish and guppies have fins that look the same. They are completely different. Check out the links, there is an Arrowana and a Saratoga. Note the Saratoga has distinctly seperate dorsal, anal & caudal fins. The Arrowana's fins join up and look like a single fin.

Yes but you are referring to South American arowanas, whilst I was pointing out the similarity between an asian arowana and an australian arowana. My point was that whilst asians are undoubtedly call 'arowanas' whilst australians hold no major differences why should the name suggest so?

I'm afraid both your links show the same fish, so I have my own lol.

Australian:
<a href="http://www.aquatic-forums.com/forums/index...=93&ext=jpg" target="_blank">http://www.aquatic-forums.com/forums/index...=93&ext=jpg</a>

Asian:
<a href="http://www.aquatic-forums.com/forums/index...=79&ext=jpg" target="_blank">http://www.aquatic-forums.com/forums/index...=79&ext=jpg</a>

Of course they are slightly different but that's why you call one a jardini and the other an RTG, they aren't different enough to call one an arowana and claim that the other is from an entirely different family.

Would you call discus and angels the same fish? They are in the same Family, different Genus and different species. Why call Australian Saratogas the same name as the South American Arrowanas when they too are in the same Family but come from a different Genus and have different species names.
The same thing can be said about neon & cardinal tetras. Same Family, Same Genus but different species. They have different common names.

I think you may have got muddled up here, neon and cardinal tetras are both from the family tetra. Australian and, for example, Asian arowanas should be from the same family, namely arowana, but you are suggesting that they should be from entirely different families.

The Genus doesn't necessarily make any difference, as CFC said they are both from the family Osteoglossidae, that does make a difference.

E.g.
Neomacheilus triangularis and Botia macracanthus come from different genus' (or geni?), however they are both from the same family, Cobitidae, therefore they are both referred to as loaches.

This is why, in my opinion, Aussies have destroyed all logic on this matter :p

Most reactions

Back