Shallow Tank

whitezb

Reaction score
I have a space with more horizontal vs vertical space. 12-14 inches max height, to allow easy access.

I am looking at a 36x18x10 tank. What would be the main disadvantages for a tank that height? Has anyone used a ‘breeder tank’ as it were a normal one?

I am thinking a nice ‘river’ tank could work, with a gentle flow.

Welcome thoughts, or if I should try and go closer to the 12-14 inch height. The main advantage to this tank is it is stock. A similar length but 12-14 height is a custom job. So about 150-200 price difference. Not huge. Just trying to figure if it’s worth it.

The only disadvantage I can see is I would need a tall stand to enjoy it. A lot depends on your own height, but with a shallow tank you need more of an eye level view, from a chair or a tall stand. It's hard to look into casually, without intent.

The only disadvantage I can see is I would need a tall stand to enjoy it. A lot depends on your own height, but with a shallow tank you need more of an eye level view, from a chair or a tall stand. It's hard to look into casually, without intent.
It would be counter level. There is a cabinet above, hence the height restriction.

Seems to me that a shallow tank would be sort of cool with a population such as crayfish and fresh water scuds. Keep the crayfish population on the low side and the scuds may well supply a never ending food supply.

Shallow tanks are hard to see into, which is why Gary suggested having it at eye level. Having it 18 inches wide makes it worse.

When you add a few inches of gravel, have the water level an inch or two below the top, you end up with 6-8 inches of water to view the fish in.

You can do it but to me, it's impractical.

Just get a normal size tank and put it somewhere else.
Don’t have another good place. I’m sitting on a 50, but just don’t have an appropriate location. A key is access to sink, since it simplifies cleaning.
Shallow tanks are hard to see into, which is why Gary suggested having it at eye level. Having it 18 inches wide makes it worse.

When you add a few inches of gravel, have the water level an inch or two below the top, you end up with 6-8 inches of water to view the fish in.

You can do it but to me, it's impractical.
yep. That’s what I started thinking. So focusing on 48, 12, 12. I’ve got about just under 20 inches total, so that leaves room to make adding fish, cleaning, etc. not too difficult. Lots of horizontal space means as long as I stick to smaller fish, will feel like bigger than 30gal.

have you considered a bottom dwelling tank... maybe even an axolotl, or as mentioned crays or lobsters, maybe turtles.. I wouldn't go too small a critter, or the visibility issues mentioned would be amplified

have you considered a bottom dwelling tank... maybe even an axolotl, or as mentioned crays or lobsters, maybe turtles.. I wouldn't go too small a critter, or the visibility issues mentioned would be amplified
Thanks. I know fish. And inverts. Moving to turtles and axolotl would require a bit of a switch. I’m tweaking, and going with custom tank with 12 inch height.

Personally, I do love such shallow tanks as if it was a river tank. But like every type of tank there are pros and a cons. This past Saturday I also purchased a shallow tank (but a small one).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back