Sexing Dwarf Gourami

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

SusieJG

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 neon dwarf gourami. They seem to get along fine, but I've heard trhat male gourami sometimes attack each other. . Neithe3r has blown any bubbles as far as I can tell. Is there another way of determining gender?

Thanks.

If both your dwarfs have significant color, they are males. Females are silver with barely any other color. Also, they are smaller and have rounded ends of their dorsal fins. :)

Thanks for the info. I think I have 2 males. Should I be concerned about aggression? So far they seem to get along, but every once in awhile one seems to be "hugging" the other one from behind, but neither seems to mind.

I wouldn't be concerned about aggression unless you're seeing it. I had two males who fought quite visciously until I seperated them - they would circle each other until one finally went in for a side bite. I'd suggest you just watch out for any kind of behavior like this, even fin nipping, and then take steps to stop it if it happens. Gouramis vary considerably in personality, and some people find they can keep 2 or more males without any problems. However, others, like me, find that there is no way two boys will get along. :rolleyes:

That's right, my gouramis got along pretty well. But i had one dominant Pearl Gourami, no one contested his position in the tank. But no figths broke out.

Most reactions

Back