Severum's what to put with them

essentialoils2u

Reaction score
hi i have a 125 gal tank with 2 Severum's 2 plecs and 1 angel fish
and just want some advice on what and how many fish i can put with them,
i would like 2 more angel fish but the one i have got i had to save from a friend as he put it in with Malawi's so it is a bit soft and small (when i got it, it had no fins) the severum's don't bother it somtimes the angel fish swims round with them.
thanks

welll defintly get some angelfish buddies, and well stick with ur south american theme, why don't u choose fish u like, then people can tell u weather u can have them with ur fish, but form what i know so far those fish seem friendly.
:D :thumbs:

dont severums get rather large and aggressive?

also, keep an eye on the angels...if they are young they should be fine... but when they get older and are not raised togther, they can get quite territorial!

nah...severums are usually very passive as far as aggression goes. sometimes they chase each other around but they cant do much damage, they have tiny mouths. severums are good to mix with other relatively non-aggressive cichlids like angelfish. i have my severums in with silver dollars, angelfish, and giant danios. what i would do is get a couple more severums maybe in a different color, they come in some pretty cool colors these days, nice greens and yellows. you have a good size tank too. severums rarely exceed 10 inches in captivity, stories about 12 inch or bigger giants are rare. they're not particularly heavy bodied either, flat and round. Like angelfish, if you get a pair they will breed in captivity and defend their territory fiercely.

SEVRUMS DO GET BIG and TALL , AND SLIGHTLY RESEMBLE DISCUS . And a very gentle species.Mine got to about 8" before he tried to eat a figure 8 puffer , they both died as a result . The puffer was about 1 " long . I kept mine with gold barbs , giant danios , austrailian rainbow fish [all in groups of three to five ] also a pair of orange chromides . My sevrum was the gold strain , and a beauty . He acted almost like a dog , if I put my hand in the tank for what ever reason he be right next to it . He was very curious I'd never tried to pet him , [ you shouldn't touch a fish because the slime on their bodies protects them from infection , and touching them can remove this slime ] remember to do partial water changes on regular basis . Every 2 weeks [I do 10 to 20 percent in my 70 gal , and my smaller tanks] or once a month.more freaquently with medium to large fish and you will have happy and healthy fish to enjoy . Hope this helps

'

The one I bought picked me , he was the only one in a tank of four to swim out toward me. I brought him home and when ever I went near my tank he'd be there , almost like a dog . I even named . "Sunny"

I'D WAIT AND SEE . I ONLY HAD 1 , HE WAS PRETTY Calm . CAN'T HONESTLY SAY HOW 2 MALES WILL INTERACT . A 125 IS A PRETTY BIG TANK , YOU MAY BE O.K. GET SOME DITHERFISH , BARBS, DANIOS [THE BIGGER ONES] , SILVER DOLLARS , FOR A DISTRACTION , HAVE SOME ONE READY TO ADOPT ONE JUST IN CASE . "

Just got a gold severum today and was pretty impress by it. But I notice that it's not a very fast swimmer and is very calm is this normal I also bought a firemouth cichlid and they are getting along fine there always side by side.

G_Sharky , Mine was like that . as long as he doesn't look wobbly . Mine liked to kind of graze as he swam [ stop and rout around ]. I don't think they are built for speed . Have you ever read " Of mice and Men". George and Lenny .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back