April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

beechey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
has any one on here ever had both in the tank

with no issues

Heard of it. Sevs are basicly a gisnt tank of a Discus IMO. They live in the same environment in the wild. Sevs do look similar in shape..Sorta. I bet you could but, you'd need to be super careful.

temprement wise most sevs are pretty placid but imo if you want to have a sev in with a group of discus you need to be looking at 100g absolute minimum. also worth considering is that your discus appreciate a well planted tank and a sev will completely destroy your plants. i had to change to silk plants when i got my sevs.
so my advice would be if you have a big enough tank , dont end up with a rogue sev ( can and does happen as with any fish) and dont mind having silk plants then i see no reason why it shouldnt work .

you could get away with it if like mark said you have silk plants mayb the odd one or two real plants that are big thick leaves like anubias and are well plated and covered best off getting a small sev in comparison to the dicus plus a nice big tank 4x2x2 minimum.

it was just a idea

as was gonna get 3 keyholes, but love marks sev lol

keyholes don't really appreciate high temperature but unless you have your tank at something like 32C or higher they should be ok

i had keyholes before but they kept breeding and getting angry with every one in the tank lol so had to get rid, but always like keyholes, but i might look for a baby sev now

If your looking for tankmates for discus simply google it, PFK recently did a great peice on tank mates for discus, the only two i can remember cause i have miss placed my issue of PFk is angels and geophagus

Totally agree on the beauty of marks sev though, its a VERY nice fish.

I tried it before I knew any better. The sevs completely dominated the discus. The discus where confined to a corner of the tank. I had to seperate them. The discus were way too stressed. IMO, Discus should be kept with themsleves. Some dither fish like tetras or cory cats should work just fine. Stay away from other cichlids. I haven't tried dwarf cichlids with them.

ive tried discus now with loads of stuff

people say no to clowns but ive had mine together now for more than 3 years with out a prob

i had a freshwater archer fish with them for two years to

the only fish ever that had a prob was a flying fox who use to love there slim coat
and a tiny ram who was a angry little fish

Sometimes it is less of a hassle just keeping Discus by themselves, but I think cardinals (and a few other types of Tetras), Corys, BN plecos, and Rams do really well with Discus for the most part. These and Angelfish would be the only thing I would mix with Discus, but keep in mind Angelfish cannot always be trusted

As far as sevs go, I personally wouldn't mix them. I did hear though, that festivum are good tank mates with Discus, as someone mentioned, geos can be mixed too. If you do wish to try mixing them though, I would start with the smallest sev possible, and make sure you have another tank/divider ready.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back