Setting Up A 125 Gallon Malawi W/pics-going To 75 Usg Now

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok here's the tank today..well kinda. I've added a couple more rocks, but not much.

100_4469.jpg

I took all the rocks out tub by tub.

100_4465.jpg

And put them in a thoroughly rinsed bathtub for safe keeping...for the next few hours anyway.

100_4466.jpg

Then I bagged up the fish. They are hard to see, but 8 are in there. I used 3 bags, due to the amount of males involved. I definitely kept the 2 males w/red tops separate from eachother and another larger male afra. Then I dispersed the rest according to size. I put about 1/3 water and left 2/3 of air that I blew in while twisting the bag.

100_4461.jpg

100_4462.jpg

I didn't put all the rocks back b/c I'd only be taking them out again in a little bit when I make the switch to the 75 gallon tank. Besides, it's only 4 fish in a 125 gallon tank. I think they'll be just fine.

btw,I ended up keeping 3 afra and the crabro.

I just bought 5 albino plecs from ebay for $30 including shipping. They're only an inch long. I'm going to put more rocks in the tank now to provide cover for them in particular. I'm sure they know how to hide. If they get into trouble, I'll remove them and grow them out in another tank. I'm anticpating needing to catch them, but there's plenty of algae in that tank for them to eat. I'll see how it goes. Should arrive on Wednesday.

Ummm...I'm pretty sure I just caught the tail end of a mating display from my crabro :unsure: He was just shimming and shaking down by one of the rock piles :crazy: I think I should get him some females....don't you think :nod: After all the only females are cynotilapia afras.

omg...he is JET BLACK---no yellow on him what so ever :eek:

Well my albino plecs came in on Wednesday November 19 and Iwas surprised at how small they are. 1" is pretty small :eek: The water that they came in tested with a ph of 6.0 and ammonia of 1ppm :crazy: I tested our local water just to see and was surprised to see that it's ph 8.6 :eek:

I realized as soon as I saw them that they wouldn't be going into my cichlid tank b/c they'd quickly become dinner. I set up my 10 gallon w/a sponge filter to grow them out a bit. I ran to the LFS and bought some R/O water. I didn't acclimate them to the ph 7.0 b/c the ammonia was so high in their bag water. I floated the bag in the 10 to get the water up to temp and then poured the water through a net (in another container) then put the fish in the tank. I don't put nasty water in my tank, that's why I net the fish and then put them in instead of dumping all the water in.

100_4478.jpg

100_4480.jpg

100_4487.jpg

100_4483.jpg

The bottom of the tank is a little dirty at the moment :rolleyes: I'll syphon and water change it tonight. I'm crushing up algae pellets for their food. I did give them some spirulina flakes. That sank to the bottom and I'm not sure if it's good for them or not, but it does say for all algae grazers.

I'll update when something eventfull happens. Unfortunately its deer hunting season and I still need to get my stand done for the 75 gallon :( (hubby's an avid hunter) We'll have to try to work on it during the work week somehow. The 3 kids go to bed by 7:30-8:30ish so there's not much time after they go to bed :unsure: I'll get it done some day. Maybe I'll take a picture of the tank when I paint the back black. Yep, I'm painting it black. Much easier :good:

*oh and that's a 150 watt heater in there :lol: It's in the basement and can get chilly. I'm keeping temp at 79F. Anyone know if this is good? Better than 63F that it would be w/out a heater, I would reckon :unsure:

I'm considering ordering some Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrate sand (its available in sand and gravel versions) from Drfostersmith.com. It comes in 20lb bags. I'm thinking three and see how it looks...if i need to add more. Here's the website: Cichlid Substrate

I have been running a 55 gal African Cichlid tank using Aragonite Coral Sand, with good results. It has kept the pH up nicely and the fish like to dig in it.

I'm just setting up a new 125 gal tank (72" x 18" floor) which came with 2 x 40 lb bags of Aragonite and I've found that's not enough. That gave me about a 1" deep layer, and IMHO Cichlids need at least 2". I'll be adding another 2 bags so.

BTW, be careful with the magnetic glass cleaner thingie if you use fine gravel / sand - I scratched the glass on my tank when some gravel got stuck under it.

Cheers!

BTW, be careful with the magnetic glass cleaner thingie if you use fine gravel / sand - I scratched the glass on my tank when some gravel got stuck under it.
Yep, I've found that out. I have a few small scratches. The only time they're noticable is when algae starts growing around them. Otherwise, they can't be seen unless I'm really close to the glass.

Just noting that all the boards are done for the stand and the back of the 75 g is painted black. I believe I stated earlier that I'd put up a pick of the painted tank? I'll do that later.

This is the paint that I used, though. I posted it on reef central asking if it'd be good for saltwater fish tanks. And they said it should be so I'm taking their word on it.

100_4604.jpg

Most importantly I wanted to to note that 1 of my afra cobues is HOLDING

Yeah!!! That means that when I was trying to keep 1 male and 2 females, I actually ended up w/at least one female. I had my suspicion when my hubby asked where the 4th fish was at feeding time. Sure enough she was hiding in the slate rocks....and her throat looked a little full. Then she came out and stared at a piece of food, but didn't eat. That sealed the deal on my suspicion. :nod:

:yahoo: :hyper: :fun: :hey: B-)

It's hard as hell to get pics. She's hiding in the rocks. Plus, I only have a 4 megapixel camera :rolleyes: Want to upgrade the camera too :cool:

Plus, I just cleaned my tank a lil bit so it's stirred up. I moved the sand around a little to clean around the bottom edge of the front of the tank.

A FTS.
100_4745.jpg

100_4727.jpg

100_4728.jpg

I wish the picture below was clearer. You can see her buccal cavity the best out of all them...pretty sad with the picture quality, eh?

100_4738.jpg

He came right up to the glass to check me out. He's not afraid of us at all. The afra's are fairly timid and hide when we first approach.

100_4731.jpg

100_4734.jpg

See all that brown crap on the rocks? :( I'm assuming it's from minerals in the rocks?? It wipes right off....like it's dust :shout:

*Just a note for myself that I cleaned the filters today. Brownish/green sludge.

I almost ordered 10 demasoni afterall, but then decided not to. They were on sale for 20% off but then shipping would've been $60. I'll get them when the weather warms up and I can receive 2 day shipping. 2 day shipping should be about $20, I think.

New puppy trying to eat my fish :rolleyes: the Bee keeps coming right to him :lol:
He was snapping at it alot more BEFORE I had the camera ready...go figure :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back