Semi-aggressive tank

i was under the impression that green tiger barbs were dyed, but maybe they are just a color variant? :dunno: either way, i wouldn't get any more of them and focus on the standard version.

the black skirts should be fine in your tank.

just remember that you really shouldn't keep more than 30 inches of fish. since tiger barbs and black skirts reach between 2-3 inches, 10 fish will be plenty for your tank. i'd go with 6 tigers and 4 black skirts, myself, seeing as the black skirts will get slightly larger.

oh and while you're at the store, pick up an ammonia test kit/strips. i noticed you didn't have a reading on that.

I'd go for liquid based test kits. Much more accurate than strips.

Anyway, tiger barbs come in some color variants including a green and an albino morph. Unfortunately, some tiger barbs are also dyed green (don't ask me why as I don't see the point... it's like those blueberry loaches). So I would think that your 'black' tiger barbs are just ordinary green tiger barbs. The striped orange and black barbs are the normal, wild color.

Here's a natural green tiger barb: http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/gree...rb_001_w270.jpg

And here's the normal wild color: http://fish.orbust.net/images/tiger.jpg

And here's a albino tiger barb: http://www.perthaquarium.com.au/images/Albino_tiger_barb.jpg - they usualy look more red than this one though

So, yes, the two varieties of barb you have are the same species but the green ones could possibly be dyed. :)

wow, sylvia, that's a great pic of a standard tiger! if its yours, you're a lucky woman.

i personally like the strips for their convenience but you're right, the kits are more accurate.

do you think my estimate of 10 barbs/tetras total is right? anyone?

Ok back from the pet store. I think im leaning toward they are dyed barbs because they are much darker than what your picture shows it as. I now have 6 barbs and 4 black skirt tetras. I just picked up an amonia test kit and it says my amonia is at about .5 (the stressful range) Any tips on what I can do to lower that?

water changes. i was afraid you were going to say something like that... but its ok. the fish you have are pretty hardy. you might lose the "dyed" fish, but it can be managed.

You are about to start the nitrogen cycle. There is plenty of info on this all over the web. What I'm about to tell you is a brief summary and not written in stone.

you'll want to do a 10% water change at least once a day for a few weeks. sounds like a lot of work, i know, but you'll lose fish otherwise. since you'll be doing this every day it isn't essential to vacuum the gravel, just pull out ~3 gallons dirty water and put in clean.

every other day, test the water for ammonia, nitrite, & nitrate. once the ammonia disappears and nitrIte appears, you're halfway through. you can stop daily water changes once nitrIte disappears and the nitrAte level rises. some tap water already has nitrate present in it, so you'll need to monitor for change not appearance.

any fish you lose, do not replace at this point! slowly introduce them at the end of the cycle. i'd suggest either increase to a 20% water change once a day or two 10% changes if you lose any fish.

HEY, just want to thank all of you for the help, all my fish seem pretty happy, no sign of stress. My amonia is ideal and my nitrite and nitrate are just fine. I am however only feeding them once a day. Once again thankyou very much for all the help.

Most reactions

Back