Second tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Koi82

Reaction score
Hi i have my 60liter comunal tank for over 3 months. I want to buy 20 liter tank And move my betta fish to it( reason - he has epizodes of going after red cherry shrimps And tears his fins now and than) im going on holiday in june so i want to know that everybody are well, happy And safe while im gone.
I want to hang some filter bags with gravel in my 60l tank, And put bio ceramic rings in The filter for 2 weeks. And use it all with water from my tank and add bactrria from bottle according to label to 20 liter. Will be this ok to put my betta in it straight away? Ah forgot to mention my" old" tank Has dirt under gravel And is havily planted, i Will do The same in New one. thatks for any advice;)

No especially if it is dirted. Let it cycle.
What if i use just gravel without dirt will this be ok to add betta after 24hour set up tank?
Like i mention before (water, media from filter, and gravel hanged in bag from cycled tank) and my plants from there (low tech anyway). Should be instant cyckled nearly? Somehow People do hospital And quaranteen tanks set in the same day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You would be better to take some of the media (sponges, ceramics etc) from your 60l tank's filter and swap it for the media in your 20l filter. Don't take more than 25% of the media of your existing filter though.

Roughly speaking, your bacteria colonies will double in size within 24 hours. So if you take 25% of your media from your existing filter (assuming an even coverage of bacteria in the filter), the colony will grow to its original size within 24 hours (it's about 8 hours for ammonia eaters and 24 hours for nitrite eaters). The new, smaller tank should have almost enough bacteria immediately, especially if it only has one betta in the tank. But before you move your betta, if you can, add some ammonia to make 3ppm in the tank and wait 24 hours. If all goes well, you should have a cycled tank. If not, wait another day.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you . And I will let you know. ;)

Thank you . And I will let you know. ;)

So update last Friday I bought filter. I put micro pad from cycled filter to it and let it run in my 60l cycled tank till Tuesday when I got my new 30l tank. So after putting soil and gravel in I used gravel prepared in hanging nets in my old tank ( nearly 2 weeks) few plants, driftwood, betta log, almond leaf (everything from cycled tank) and 50 % of water added fresh treated water on and let it stand for 2 days adding bio-boost (bacteria as on bottel) each day. Today I add my betta did nearly 50% wc and that is it for now

So update last Friday I bought filter. I put micro pad from cycled filter to it and let it run in my 60l cycled tank till Tuesday when I got my new 30l tank. So after putting soil and gravel in I used gravel prepared in hanging nets in my old tank ( nearly 2 weeks) few plants, driftwood, betta log, almond leaf (everything from cycled tank) and 50 % of water added fresh treated water on and let it stand for 2 days adding bio-boost (bacteria as on bottel) each day. Today I add my betta did nearly 50% wc and that is it for now

New betta and "old tank"
3138c78e67705f4e9ebf2bba98d9444c.jpg
2b6c7e3151e704da304f3832d77bbde8.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back