scuds & shrimp???

Magnum Man

Supporting Member
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
can these be mixed in a tank??? or is it like Hatfields & McCoy's

I wish I could get scuds, I assume those are fresh water amphipods. I really don't know if they would be detrimental to shrimp, if so it would only be the very young shrimp that might be harmed and there might be competition for food. Overall, I think you could mix them, but I wouldn't take a risk based on my opinion only.

If they are like some of the marine amphipods it might be a different story, we have some amphipods that live in the surf zone, and they can bite hard enough to draw a tiny amount of blood from your ankles.

I have scuds in my neo tank. I farm them out for my fish aquariums. If they weren’t already in there I would have kept them separate. When the scuds increase in numbers my baby shrimp decrease in numbers. I think the amphipod would eat a shrimp that had molted if they were hungry enough. I feed lightly so that may have been part of my problem. I would keep the scuds in a fish aquarium because the fish will help keep the population down and they will still survive in the substrate. There’s nothing to control the numbers in my shrimp tank except me baiting them and then sucking them out with my turkey baster. The few were aphipods in my tank the better my shrimp do. I love having the scuds though, and I like to give my fish the excitement chasing down some natural food. If given a chance, I would keep them separately from the shrimp.

Most reactions

Back