Schooling fish options...

I put this stocking idea into aqadvisor and it said that it would work... I forget the stock % but here it is:

3- peacock gudgeons
7- Rasbora espei/lambchop rasboras
10- chili rasboras

What do y'all think?

I put this stocking idea into aqadvisor and it said that it would work... I forget the stock % but here it is:

3- peacock gudgeons
10- chili rasboras

What do y'all think?

We seem to be back at page 1, but that's OK. I've already commented on the species (gudgeons being better with more in the group). The main pint I want to make now is that Aquadvisor cannot be relied upon without realizing that they cannot possibly programme everything that really matters into the equation. And that is its failing. The "fish load" of the fish mentioned is not a problem; what is a possible problem is the number per species and I am sure Aqadvisor does not have the capability of including this all-important factor.

We seem to be back at page 1, but that's OK. I've already commented on the species (gudgeons being better with more in the group). The main pint I want to make now is that Aquadvisor cannot be relied upon without realizing that they cannot possibly programme everything that really matters into the equation. And that is its failing. The "fish load" of the fish mentioned is not a problem; what is a possible problem is the number per species and I am sure Aqadvisor does not have the capability of including this all-important factor.
Gudgeons can be kept in trios and also 6 wont fit in my 20H

So I found a cool tank mate for the gudgeons after a visit to petsmart and some nice research on other forums (im not a member of any)... While I was there I saw some dwarf flame gouramis and thought "Yah I dont think they'll work with gudgeons in a 20H" then I came home and went back to the thought of those gouramis I saw and went "It wouldnt hurt to just research" so I did and found out they are actually peaceful together AND the gouramis are TOP dwelling mostly which means they wont interact with the gudgeons most likely... Ive read in other forums that they had great success with dwarf gouramis and peacock gudgeons in a 20G and wanted to know what you guys thought?

So I found a cool tank mate for the gudgeons after a visit to petsmart and some nice research on other forums (im not a member of any)... While I was there I saw some dwarf flame gouramis and thought "Yah I dont think they'll work with gudgeons in a 20H" then I came home and went back to the thought of those gouramis I saw and went "It wouldnt hurt to just research" so I did and found out they are actually peaceful together AND the gouramis are TOP dwelling mostly which means they wont interact with the gudgeons most likely... Ive read in other forums that they had great success with dwarf gouramis and peacock gudgeons in a 20G and wanted to know what you guys thought?
@Avel1896 or @Byron what do you guys think about this? Also @Essjay, I know that you are knowledgeable on this, do you mind if I hear your input on this?

Yes (?) on trio in 20H with no other bottom feeder : compete for food could lead to issues.
Thats where you spread the food out so they domt have to compete and gove enough food... But, what about the dwarf gouramis?

3- peacock gudgeons
10- chili rasboras
To me it's a mistake to keep 2 schools of 2 different species even if they are relatively close.
For fish wellfare it would be MUCH better to opt for ONE school of 15-20 Boraras brigittae that will thive this way so better than in 2 unbalanced schools.

Last edited:
To me it's a mistake to keep 2 schools of 2 different species even if they are relatively close.
For fish wellfare it would be MUCH better to opt for ONE school of 15-20 Boraras brigittae that will thive this way so better than in 2 unbalnced schools.
Ok. That sounds good.

For fish wellfare it would be MUCH better to opt for ONE school of 15-20 Boraras brigittae that will thive this way so better than in 2 unbalnced schools.
But again, I do really want to know if its possible to house dwarf gouramis, a top dwelling fish, with peacock gudgeons, bottom dwelling

Thats where you spread the food out so they domt have to compete and gove enough food...
On the condition that you stop the pump, otherwise the current disperses everything.

But, what about the dwarf gouramis?
Trichogaster "dwarf gourami" lalius is territorial, will try to enlarge its territory and can be aggressive up to kill all tank mates. So : NO. Especially is a small tank.

On the condition that you stop the pump, otherwise the current disperses everything.

Trichogaster "dwarf gourami" lalius is territorial, will try to enlarge its territory and can be aggressive up to kill all tank mates. So : NO. Especially is a small tank.
Ok, its sad but good to know. Thank you. I may just do a schooling fish like a school of espei rasbora or a school of danio tinwini. I always have in mind the boraras brigittae though

My gourami, though they prefer the top of the tank, especially while eating, using their labyrinth or blowing bubble nests, generally seem to consider the whole tank theirs. Similarly my female apisto while preferring the lower third, even hanging around in caves with the cories, also considers the whole tank hers. She studiously ignores the gourami and they her. I think I wouldn't want a cichlid even as big as a Ram with the gourami, as I suspect a Ram would be much more aggressive. The apisto tried at first but she is tetra sized compared to the gourami so they pay little more mind than they do the tetras.

If I were you I'd go for 3 (or more) gudgeon as you seem to really like them, and as many chilli raspbora as you think will fit in the remaining space.

My gourami, though they prefer the top of the tank, especially while eating, using their labyrinth or blowing bubble nests, generally seem to consider the whole tank theirs. Similarly my female apisto while preferring the lower third, even hanging around in caves with the cories, also considers the whole tank hers. She studiously ignores the gourami and they her. I think I wouldn't want a cichlid even as big as a Ram with the gourami, as I suspect a Ram would be much more aggressive. The apisto tried at first but she is tetra sized compared to the gourami so they pay little more mind than they do the tetras.

If I were you I'd go for 3 (or more) gudgeon as you seem to really like them, and as many chilli raspbora as you think will fit in the remaining space.
I could probably comfortably fit 4 gudgeons but I only want 3 that way I have more room for a larger school of other fish.

3- peacock gudgeons
10- chili rasboras

What do y'all think?
Personally I like rummy nose tetras as a schooling fish.
Nice contrast of colours. Hardy little guys. Very active and peaceful.
Great community fish.

Most reactions

Back