Saying hello

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Long1234

Reaction score
Hi just introducing myself. My name's Clare and my son has a 54 litre tank and a 12 litre tank. In the 54 litre he has 7 neon tetras and 4 platy 6 shrimp and 3 horned snails.

I've just signed up to this forum to see If anyone can help me.
One of the shrimp has what looks like algae underneath it. The others all look fine. Is this an Infection of some kind.

Here is a picture of our shrimp

Attachments

• 20171014_210243.jpg
    20171014_210243.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 114
Welcome to the forum :)

It's a female carrying eggs with her 'swimmerets'.

I'm not 100% sure what sort of shrimp that is, but the shrimplets might not survive in a normal tank; some species need salty water for the young to develop, which is very hard to do.

Hi thanks for the reply it's a ghost shrimp. Baby's wow ok I guess the other fish will eat them before they get chance yo grow. But so glad it nothing nasty

Ghost shrimps are one of the species that will breed in freshwater. You're probably right in thinking that the fish will eat most of the shimplets, but you never know; if you have a lot of plants you might get a few that manage to survive :)

Here is a picture of our shrimp

I actually do not believe that's a ghost.
I think you have an amano, as they have the spotted marks and their bodies are are little more robust looking that ghost.
If I'm correct than the shrimpletts need salty water to survive, so you don't need to worry about having a bunch of babies.
That's why I chose an Amano as I have a tiny tank that I need to be very careful not to overload.
Also they are amazing little workers!! Super fun to have and watch :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back