Sand In The Mouth

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

algae eater

Reaction score
Hi Guys -- I have a 55 gallon tank. The sand in the bottom is not fine but is small. The fish are always moving it from one place to the other. One side of the tank has no sand at all. When I vaccuum, I move it back but a couple days and they have put it where they want. I have given up on moving it back now. I don't want big rocks for the bottom as you can't vaccuum easily. I have been that route.
In the pictures on the site, I never see where the sand is moved. Do any of you have that problem?

Thanks,

Hi Guys -- I have a 55 gallon tank. The sand in the bottom is not fine but is small. The fish are always moving it from one place to the other. One side of the tank has no sand at all. When I vaccuum, I move it back but a couple days and they have put it where they want. I have given up on moving it back now. I don't want big rocks for the bottom as you can't vaccuum easily. I have been that route.
In the pictures on the site, I never see where the sand is moved. Do any of you have that problem?

Thanks,

One of the great things about cichlids is that they are constantly changing their own environment. If your cichlids are moving sand/substrate it is because they are creating a nest/territory for themselves. It is usually the precursor to the fish breeding. Some male cichlids do it to entice females and some females do it to have a place to hide/rest if they are holding eggs. I'd leave them at it, if having the bottom of the tank exposed is irritating you you can coat a piece of perspex fitting the bottom of the tank with aquatic silicone and sprinkle sand on it. This will look like the floor of a tank and add protection to the floor of the tank from the rocks you mention.

HaHa - i gave up trying to re-arrange the sand in Mbuna tanks years ago (except for photos :D )

HaHa - i gave up trying to re-arrange the sand in Mbuna tanks years ago (except for photos :D )

Yeah me too. My alpha male m.callainos has a cave dug out under a rock stack, and every time I do a water change I fill it back up with sand. It completely pi$$es him off :sly: , but I love watching him spend an hour digging his cave back out, and chasing the other fish away from his real estate. :lol: I know, I'm evil, but I have to find entertainment somewhere.

Most reactions

Back