Sand in my tank - Advice please?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

beercan

Reaction score
Hi, I've always had gravel in my tank, and it's always niggled me cos I want sand.
Nobody anywhere near me sells sand, and the online places charge a bomb for it/delivery.

So, I popped down to my local building supply store and bought a bag of golden kiln dried sand. Fine and clean. No imperfections or rubbish in it whatsoever.
I thought I'd see what it was like quality wise, so I put some tank water in a bowl with the sand and gave it a good stir up. The sand settled almost instantly.

After a couple of hours, I tested for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and PH levels.
Everything was reading as fine, except the PH which is high - identical to how it is in the tank, so I think that's down to water conditions in the tank in general.

Are there any reasons I shouldn't use this top-quality sand?
-_-

Cheers!

I'm not familiar with that type sand but it sounds as if it is about the same thing as the play sand that the large home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot sell here. A lot of people use the play sand.

The only sand I was told not to get was "building sand"...not sure what qualifies as building sand except I suppose its the sand used for making cement? I used playsand in the end.

Play sand is called so because it is cleaned and filtered (somewhat) so it's safe for kids to play in. No sharp bits or hunks of debris. It's also not coated with anything harmful.

Other types of sand, to mix cement for example, might have sharp bits and might be coated with some kind of dust for some purpose I can't imagine because I'm not a builder :)

building sand is normaly a very dark orange, this is because it has had chemicals added to it to help it bond with cements and gravel to make concrete.
if it is not orange in colour it should be fine.

I worked with a masonry contractor and a building material supplier for quite some time. The red masonry sand here in the states hasn't had anything added to it, it comes straight from the quarry into the trucks. The red/orange color is natural but still isn't good for a tank because of the clay and impurities in it. As I say, it comes straight out of the ground. It would also turn your water a yellowish-orange color.

Thanks guys.
I used the sand, and apart from the fact it took 3 days for the sand to settle, it's sorted and looks great.

Hi beercan :)

One of the most important considerations when selecting sand is whether it has rounded or sharp edges.

This is especially important if you ever plan to keep bottom dwelling fish such as catfish. Any sand composed of crushed rock could damage their delicate barbels. Since their barbels are sensory organs that they use to find their food, if they get injured it will result in a general decline in their overall health, possible infection and a shortened lifespan.

Play sand is often used because it is fine and has rounded edges that are even safe for the delicate skin of toddlers. :D

I got some of that sand for my tank and its pretty good and clean too.

Didn't take too long to wash.

Its not as light as some sand but still looks good.

Hi, I've always had gravel in my tank, and it's always niggled me cos I want sand.
Nobody anywhere near me sells sand, and the online places charge a bomb for it/delivery.

So, I popped down to my local building supply store and bought a bag of golden kiln dried sand. Fine and clean. No imperfections or rubbish in it whatsoever.
I thought I'd see what it was like quality wise, so I put some tank water in a bowl with the sand and gave it a good stir up. The sand settled almost instantly.

After a couple of hours, I tested for nitrates, nitrites, ammonia and PH levels.
Everything was reading as fine, except the PH which is high - identical to how it is in the tank, so I think that's down to water conditions in the tank in general.

Are there any reasons I shouldn't use this top-quality sand?
-_-

Cheers!

Hi just came across your comments about sand and wondered if yours had any compaction now that you have had it in your tanks for a few months, I want to try it but wondered if there would be any build up of bacteria and black gunge at the bottom of the sand ?

Most reactions

Back